DEMISE OF LAKE TALQUIN....SAY IT AINT SO!!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skeeter-eater

DEMISE OF LAKE TALQUIN....SAY IT AINT SO!!!!

Post by skeeter-eater »

I have heard rumors that some private group of investors is trying to put in a "crew" (row-boat) facility on Lake Talquin somewhere. Rumor has it, that they plan to shut down a major portion of the lake to motor boat traffic when they have an event.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this.....?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: DEMISE OF LAKE TALQUIN....SAY IT AINT SO!!!!

Post by tin can »

They're trying. They have a foot in the door with some property right by Williams Landing. If they are successful their course would stretch from in front of Polk Creek to Scott's dock. about 2 miles of where everyone runs. This area would be no wake, with off limits boundary markers on the course itself during a rowing event. If it does come to pass I want to be there when they're greeted with an east wind at 10 to 15, and see how well those boats handle rough water.
What was I supposed to do today?
piscivorousfotog
Site Sponsor

Post by piscivorousfotog »

Report by Cliff Mundinger”JR”
Updated on May 8, 2009
Hello everyone again! Before we get started I need to let everyone know about a proposed rowing (crew) complex looking to go in near Williams landing.
I was contacted by commissioner Jane Sauls’ office and asked my opinion. There is a group of investors looking to move a rowing facility to Williams Landing. No big deal right? Could not be more wrong, not only for the area residents but for the thousands of fisherman both recreational and tournament. What they are proposing is to close a portion of the lake from Williams to the Iron Curtain, (going towards Coe’s) to motorized boats. My understanding is that when they have these events, (probably on the weekends) they will use FWC to keep motor boats from going through that designated area. We’re talking over a mile of water. In addition they want to get rid of the public camping facilities at Williams’ Landing. When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke. It is not. It is real and they are heavily funded with public support from politicians that have no clue as to how much this would negatively effect the recreational fishing and boating.
As a guide and frequent user of Lake Talquin I can attest to it’s pristine nature and to what a world class fishery it has become. FWC has worked very hard and has introduced a program that has brought this lake to where it is today. That is funded through millions of fishing licenses bought in the State of Florida and thousands from right here in Leon and Gadsen counties.
If you are opposed to this as I am there is a commission meeting next Tuesday, May 12th at the Leon County Court House. Tell your friends, family and whom ever else you know that would interested in coming to support the fishery. Please call me with any questions.
Cliff Mundinger
Cliff Mundinger “JR”
Lake Talquin Trophy Guide Service talquinguide@msn.com

Cliff's report to Woods 'n Water Magazine after the meeting:
I believe it went well. I recieved a call last Friday morning around 6:30 am from Linda Summerlin from Leon County Commissioner Jane Sauls office. She summerized the situation involving people from the NE side of TAllahassee looking to have changes made to the Leon County Parks in order to accomodate their rowning functions. This also included having a portion of Lake Talquin closed off to motorized boats on days when they had their competition. Not to mention the increased traffic, and abuse of local facilities as they expect to have over 2000 people attend these crew races. She went on to ask for help in spreading the word as these people are well funded and have some political backing. She also said they changed the agenda at last nights commission meeting from a vote to a hearing and we need to have as many local fisherman and homeowners that would be affected show up to voice our opinion. I told her I would do whatever I could and went to work driving to every boat dealer, bait shop and marina in and around Leon and Gadsen county. We also put a letter together to promote this issue and raise awareness to local bass fishing clubs through e-mail.
Fast forward to the meeting. I was elated at the local response as there were over 25 fisherman and several business and homeowners there. We were each given a chance to voice our opinion. The first thre speakers indicated they were not exactly sure what the rowing people had in mind but knew it had to do with preventing them from fishing . Commisioner Desloge suggested that the representative from the crew side explain exactly what they were trying to do. He proceeded to give the old political side step and say they were their simply for a change in park use, making it sound like it was no big deal. He also said they have nothing to do with the FWC and this was a county issue only. Total bullshit! They have already had one race out there and hired an off duty FWC officer to run down boats getting to close and turning them around. Officer Jerry Schuler from the LCSO reiterated that when it was his turn to speak. Officer Schuler (who lives on Williams Landing road) also stated in what a horrible condition they left the park facility and what it cost the county to clean it up.
This group has already bought property on Williams Landing road and would like to expand. They want to put up bleachers on the Point of Williams Landing so spectators are close. They wold also like to eliminate the public camping. Several others expressed their displeasure with the amount of increased traffic and noted how their is no way the area would accomodate that many people, trucks, cars and busses.
Most commissioners seemed sympathetic to the fisherman but one. Bob Ratcliff. He spoke as if he has a vested interest in this. The commission also asked that this be tabled and put together a “town hall” discussion. Where fisherman, crew members, leon county and FWC all be represented. This would be a good thing for you to attend. They will be notifying us when and where this is going to happen. Commissioner Sauls is going to put it together.

When I was first told about this from Sarah Johnson about 6 months ago she told me whe was approached by this group and asked her opinion. She told them it was not a good idea as where they want to hold their events is right in the river channel and is the only place to run boats safely to get from one ind of the lake to the river. Apparently they did not care what she said. I fish Lake TAlquin over 150 days a year and I also agree that is the only safe place to run. It was also suggested to the group of rowers that they find another place to hold their meets on the lake as the fisherman really don’t care it’s more about where they want to hold them than anything. In front of Vause landing would be perfect. There is high ground to watch from and there is no need for fisherman to run in that area when there is a meet.
There was more but my hands are tired from typing. (and I went to college on a journalism scholarship). lol..
Cliff Mundinger JR
talquinguide@msn.com
"This is almost as much fun as being there!"
piscivorousfotog
Site Sponsor

More, very interesting details coming out in June's issue of Woods 'n Water.
These rowers have BIG plans for Talquin.
skeeter-eater

Post by skeeter-eater »

piscivorousfotog wrote:More, very interesting details coming out in June's issue of Woods 'n Water.
These rowers have BIG plans for Talquin.
good to know....keep us posted.

i guess i should start picking up the woods n water. ever since my subscription ran out a few months ago, i keep forgetting to renew it.
piscivorousfotog
Site Sponsor

give us a call, we will get you back in the loop.
more big news just broke......FRA file suit in federal court against the NMFS over the new grouper rules.
working on that story now and we are due to the printer soon!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Let us all know about the next meeting.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?