Carrabelle 5-16-09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Carrabelle 5-16-09

Post by Atticus »

Put 43 miles on the GPS. Ran West and stayed out of the breeze. Tides were pretty pathetic early.

First spot, first cast, my partner catches a pup red on a sprite spoon. I didn't even have my bait off of the rod yet and I had to grab the net. :o We set up a "power drift" using the Minn Kota for assistance and not much was hapening. A few dink trout and the normal lady fish harassment. I caught a 15.000001" trout and he was gut hooked/bleeding so I threw him on the ice.

We ran back out to the channel and took a look at about 15 markers and crab trap floats with nothing to show for it. Ran farther West and the water was bad. I was getting nervous about the day's prospects. Lots of gas burned and only one trout on the ice getting closer and closer to illegal as I tried to figure out what to do. We ran back East towards town where the water was celarer, East of where we started. Again with the power drift. Put 4 small reds in the boat with the biggest being only 20". The tide was about to turn on at 2:00 and the trout I guess were early to the party as the trout bite blew up and we put four good 'uns in the box with the little guy. We released several other nice ones. The trout were boiling on the surface and herding bait showers out of the water. I thought it was ladyfish/spanish until I threw into a boil and bagged a 19"er. After that we had them patterned and we would use the MK to get to the comotion and throw into it. Also caught a 22" spanish that was invited home for supper.

Most of my fish this year have come on a 5" Gulp Jerkshad fished Ty Smith style. That was the ticket Saturday. When the pinfish get too bad I throw 5" Exudes. We got out too late for topwater. Haven't done much on my spoons this year.

I would say 'nothing broken' but I dropped my bungee cord for my net overboard and my anchor locker hardware is broken so the hatch flaps all around when I get in the chop. I am working to resolve both of those issues during the week.

Went back down on Sunday to mess around and saw seatrout99 and Bottom Line at the Big 4 weigh-in. :thumbup: :beer:
Chalk

Re: Carrabelle 5-16-09

Post by Chalk »

Nice trip :thumbup: :thumbup:
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Sounds like it was a good day, Luke. I was going to head that way until I saw the forecast for the East wind. Glad you got on 'em.
Boom goes the dynamite.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Atticus wrote:I would say 'nothing broken' but I dropped my bungee cord for my net overboard and my anchor locker hardware is broken so the hatch flaps all around when I get in the chop. I am working to resolve both of those issues during the week.
:oops:

Sounds like a good day to me :thumbup: :beer:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Called me stupid, what is Ty Smith style fishing?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

KYFRED wrote:What is Ty Smith style fishing?
The way Ty Smith rigs his baits.
When you hook a jerk bait through only the nose it' becomes a TSS bait. It give the bait A LOT more action.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Good deal :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Sounds like a fun trip! :thumbup:
Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:beer: :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

good deal
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
floridafisher

Post by floridafisher »

NEED SOME HELP! we got a pinfish trap from bass pro and it kinda sucks. i got a crab. but then again the second time we placed we got a school of them...and well when your in key largo. and the only white guys fishing. A group of other fisherman took all of our bait but left the trap thak god. ok well heres my question, When build a pinfish trap how do u place it togeater? weld it....zipties wat? and another thing pin fish also like the color white.