Memorial Holiday St. Joe Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

volguy

Memorial Holiday St. Joe Report

Post by volguy »

For the 9th year in a row we headed down to the Cape for Memorial Wknd. This year I decided to head down early with my dad b/c he was wanting to do some fishing and so we arrived in St Joe on Tuesday to some very nice 35 to 40 mph winds and a bay that looked like a bath tub. We pulled down to the city ramp on the way in to town and decided the wind was just too much to even put in there and on an extremely RARE occasion, we decided to punt on Tuesday's fishing and instead go to the raw bar and enjoy oysters and :beer:. Wedensday was not any better and we could only fish down the town beach side of the bay and fishing was still difficult at that. We had decided to do something else very rare and use live shrimp b/c we knew it would be next to impossible to cast arties with the stiff winds. To our suprise we inked out some very nice spanish, blues, flounder and trout for decent day fishing in those conditions.

Thursday was a little better. I was able to get over to where my good holes were and fish. We managed a limit of very nice trout in about 45 minutes. Called the wife and a friend to book it to presnells where we added a few more shrimp to the stash and two more limits of trout after they were aboard. The wind was so bad all you could do was cast back fishing under a cork and keep the line tight. The good thing was you would twitch it about twice and have a trout on. We also picked up some flounder, blues and spanish. My buddy Joe was able to get his best trout ever.

Friday was a little better on the winds. We put in at presnells and with another buddy that came in late Thrusday. He had never caught a red so that was the goal for the day. After not seeing any reds however the first 3 days we weren't really positive. However, on about the 5th cast he got this one. Goal accomplished.

We then picked up 9 trout in the trout hole, a few flounder and then the wind got back up to 30. We called it a day.

Saturday was more of the same. It was just Devin and I on this one as no one else wanted to brave the weather. We got a limit of trout , flounder, blues and tons of lady fish. After the thunderstorm blew threw it was a beautiful afternoon on St Joe bay.

The wind finally slacked on Sunday and we were able to get to our good redfish and flounder holes. It was the best day I have ever had on reds boating 31 redfish and losing several more (after never catching a red, my buddy is now addicted to redfish after this day heheheheheh). Most were small rats, but it was still fun. I also found this monster. I have no idea why I didn't measure and weigh it, but it was pushing 30 inches and is by far the biggest flounder that has been caught on my boat. hehehehehe

It was also our best day fishing with 8 trout (one that was 24 inches), 4 flounder, lots and lots of whiting, a black drum and some other odd ball fish. All fish were caught on Gulp Shrimp. You can see how much bigger the flounder is than the 20+ inch trout and reds.

Monday we were out early for the last day and only had 2 hours to fish and it was also the worst tides for when we had been catching fish all week. The fish had been very specific all week to the tide time that they were feeding. We still managed 6 reds, 3 trout, a flounder and lots of small whiting all on gulps again. The reds were a good bit bigger on Monday.

What looked pretty bleak weather wise at the beginning of the trip, turned out to be the best trip we have had on trout in the bay and a great trip overall given the conditions we had to fish.
Last edited by volguy on May 26th, 2009, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
What a mess

Re: Memorial Holiday St. Joe Report

Post by What a mess »

Getterdone!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Boy, those are some nice fatties!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Nice Vol. I went down and didn't even take the boat. Looks like you pounded out a pretty good trip.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

not many places better than the Raw Bar to wait out some bad weather. Nicely done.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
volguy

Post by volguy »

thanks guys. sorry it took so long to get the entire report up, but something really weird was going on with the screen while i was trying to type.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Nice fish in tough conditions.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
beer thirty

Post by beer thirty »

Your killin me!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :beer:
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

WOW nice Flounder :lick: ....Oh and the other fish too :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Great looking fish.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Way to go! :thumbup: Going down Saturday for a week. Any tips appreciated. Gulp shrimp? New Penny, white ? Any topwater action? Where did you get the live shrimp - Presnell's?
Some people fish all their lives before they realize it's not the fish they are after...Thoreau
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

holy doormat! :thumbup:
Get your mind right
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Very nice :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
volguy

Post by volguy »

duckbill,

send me an email and i will help you out. i see you are from athens also.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Nice fishes volguy!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem