Aucilla Struggles 5-31

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cmccord
Site Sponsor

Aucilla Struggles 5-31

Post by cmccord »

Finally got a chance to get out for a few hours on Sunday with my father and a friend of mine (Brian) who has never done any saltwater fishing. Left Monticello around 5:45 and were launching at Aucilla around 6:30. Fished a grassline near the mouth of the river and started having short strikes on topwater right off the bat. Good sign, we thought. No matter how much I slowed the plug down, though, fish just didn't want to take it all the way in. Then, one nails my spook :D (black and silver) and gives me a good run for the money. Turns out to be a jack, not the red that I was hoping for, but gave a great fight nonetheless. :thumbup: My father gets a hook up with a nice red and as he is approaching the boat, turns his head and spits the plug back at him :smt009 . Brian struggles with short strikes and can't manage a hook up here.

After tiring of the short strikes we move West to a cove and creeks where we have had success many times in the past and can't even buy a bite. Fished, topwater mostly, but also spinners with Gulp! and found nothing. Went back East to try some coves father down in hopes of finding some reds on the shallow bars. Still couldn't find one anywhere, and very little action to be seen around the bars. :smt012

Went out to 4-7 feet of water, got into a few ladyfish, 1 snotcat and nothing else. :smt012 At this point in the day we weren't making a run farther away from the river as we all had obligations for the afternoon and evening and made accompanying promises to return by way too early :( , so we decide to head back into the shallows and make a drift across a few good bars and spotty bottom. Brian, finally gets a hook up on a keeper trout (17.5" and turns out to be the only keeper of the day) so at least we're not skunked. Another short trout for my father and then I get the bite I've been waiting for all day. :o Hooked on 3" Gulp! natural with red jighead. He's pulling drag. Made a loop toward the aft portside of the boat, comes back around the bow and turns to starboard heading for the stern, still taking drag. Got a enough of a look at him to see some good color and confirm species, but not size. Having just replaced the line on my reel with Cajun Red Line 14#, and a relatively loose drag, I felt confident in the fight with the fish. Just as that goes through my head, Snap :smt011 :smt009 and the fish is gone. This pretty well sums the day up for me. :hammer: We make a few more casts and decide that we'd better head in :smt009 if we want to have a chance to go again soon.

Regardless of the total tally, this was one of the prettier days I've had on the water in quite some time. Possibly because it was long overdue, but something about starting the day off at Aucilla as the sun is moving above the treeline to the East is just magical. Look forward to next time, and hope to chase the afternoon bite as well. :thumbup: :smt004
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla Struggles 5-31

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Glad you got out.
I tried that Cajun line once. I gave away a 1000yard spool.
It seemed too soft and broke often.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Jumptrout51 wrote: I tried that Cajun line once. I gave away a 1000yard spool.
After relining four reels last week, I think I'll be looking for something else myself. Hard when you don't have confidence in your line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

You did better than me on my last trip to Aucilla... I got skunked for the first time ever down there.
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

good report, but just sorry for the luck.

I haven't read much of anything good on that line.

I can definitely feel your frustration through reading your words though!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Sounds like you and Millard had a good time, Caldwell. Tell him I said hey. Was the water dirty at Aucilla?
Boom goes the dynamite.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Cajun line = :thumbdown:

Ande pink = :thumbup:

Maybe fishing later in the day, you need to take account of the heat...
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

cmccord wrote:
After relining four reels last week, I think I'll be looking for something else myself. Hard when you don't have confidence in your line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Suffix Superior. That junk be bad!
GEAUX TIGERS!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

cmccord wrote:

If you like braid, Suffix or Stren but I stay away from Power Pro. I just don't like it.
Ande is the shizzle for Mono to me but then again alot folks use Big Game as well.

We did about the same as you but the fun is in the time with your dad and good folks.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Good time on the water. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

caseycook wrote:Sounds like you and Millard had a good time, Caldwell. Tell him I said hey. Was the water dirty at Aucilla?
We did CC. Water is still really stained and dirty. N-NW winds were somewhat different for a drift pattern and likely didn't help with water clarity either. PM me sometime and let's catch up.

Thanks to all for suggestions on the line recommendations. After looking back at some old threads, as far as mono goes, Trilene Big Game seems to be the predominant choice. Considering braid, but I fish spinning gear only and saw mixed reviews from a number of folks on using braid on spinners. I may try some on one reel just to test it out and see. We'll hope to report on that next time as well.