Ethanol

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Joshjack84

Ethanol

Post by Joshjack84 »

What are you guys doing to protect your motor from ethanol? I usually buy ethanol free gas but the station is not always open. What is the best way to protect your motor if you have to put E gas in your tank?

Thanks
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Ethanol

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Install a water separator and use your boat at least twice a week.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Fill it when you're through and run it frequently, even if it's in the yard with the muffs on.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Joshjack84

Post by Joshjack84 »

So ethanol is only a problem if the boat sits for a period of time?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Joshjack84 wrote:So ethanol is only a problem if the boat sits for a period of time?
The ethanol isn't really the problem, the condensate, water and varnishing are the issues. From what I've read, anyway.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Ethanol mixed with gasoline allows the gas to become hydroscopic, meaning it will allow moisture to be absorbed. In the car fixing biz we have been seeing more water contamination since ethanol. I have been using the stabil marine formula as directed and have not seen any water problems as of yet. They claim it cancels the ethanol effect.
Good Luck
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

who sells the marine stabil in these parts?
Joshjack84

Post by Joshjack84 »

someone said west marine has it or can get it in
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I've seen it at West Marine and Wallyworld...several different kinds, stabil included.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

My dealer said make sure you use only the marine stabil...(Blue Color)
macdaddy
Site Sponsor

Post by macdaddy »

Sea-foam it's a bit pricey but i used it for 3 yrs in honda 4-stroke with 80 gallon tank with no problems. Like the other post said install a water separator and change filter every 100 hrs or season. You can buy it at any auto parts house.
poorboy

Post by poorboy »

use marine stabil every time u put gas in your boat. e gas or not :thumbup:
carramar
Site Sponsor

Post by carramar »

The worst problem we've seen is that ethanol will clean your fuel tank of all oxidation and anything else that is between your gas tank and your engine. On newer Yamahas that are fuel injected we've seen lots of clogged VST filters (3 hours in and out and test run) and the ethanol actually eats the cadium plating off the high pressure pump inside the VST. Never see these problems on boats that get their gas at Marinas and almost nevsr on boats only a couple of years old or boats with plastic fuel tanks. Ethanol is a marine mechanics full employment guarantee. :smt011
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

carramar wrote:The worst problem we've seen is that ethanol will clean your fuel tank of all oxidation and anything else that is between your gas tank and your engine. On newer Yamahas that are fuel injected we've seen lots of clogged VST filters (3 hours in and out and test run) and the ethanol actually eats the cadium plating off the high pressure pump inside the VST. Never see these problems on boats that get their gas at Marinas and almost nevsr on boats only a couple of years old or boats with plastic fuel tanks. Ethanol is a marine mechanics full employment guarantee. :smt011
So you're saying the ethanol doesn't affect plastic fuel tanks??
Stay Thirsty My Friends