Scalloper Killed @ Steinhatchee

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flogator

Scalloper Killed @ Steinhatchee

Post by flogator »

A teacher from Cross City was ran over by a pontoon boat on Friday 7-19 while scalloping at Steinhatchee. The story was he was a long way from his dive flag. The story can be found at WWW.OCALA.COM. There needs to be more law inforcement around the scalloping areas, not just in the river channel. The incident is under investigation by the FWC. The story in the Ocala paper has 6 grownups and 6 children on the pontoon boat. Can you imagine the impact this will have on the children.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloper Killed @ Steinhatchee

Post by birddog »

GULP! free since 1970.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloper Killed @ Steinhatchee

Post by red_yakker »

I was scalloping in that area last weekend and had a boat come within 50 feet of me up on plane. I don't think he ever even saw me, even though I was surrounded by hundreds of other scallopers and within 50 feet of my boat. No FWC anywhere, until of course, I get back to the ramp and he's waiting on me. I know they can't be everywhere all the time, but if they'd start writing tickets, people may get the message. I love scallops, so I'll take my chances with the sharks, but some of these boaters scare the crap out of me.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb