Scalloping with the Scouts

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Scalloping with the Scouts

Post by MudDucker »

Got my butt up at 4:45 AM to take the Scout troop on our annual scalloping trip. Met the boys at the Church and they were acted like they were on a caffine high at 6AM. Got the boat switched from my truck to the Church Van, loaded up on ice and headed out at 6:30 AM. They went from wide open to asleep in 15 minutes. Got to Keaton Beach Marina about 8:15 AM. The kind folks got the boat off the trailer and in the water in nothing flat. They told me were to go to find the scallops, so off we went. We had enough junk on board to have a garage sale. Out the canal we go at dead low tide and south we head. I get to where I was told to find the scallops and there is not a single boat with a diver down flag to be seen and only two that are fishing. Oh well, first we test an old hole of mine that is normally 8 feet deep, but with the tide it was about 6. Very few, but good sized scallops. We ease in some more and one of the guys claims he is seeing a bunch of scallops. Out goes the anchor and in we go. It was a scallop graveyard. Must have been the preferred local place to clean scallops. Scallops still scattered. We come up and where we were working toward suddenly looks like an armada. So I ease in and sure enough, we start to see them scooting over the grass. In we go. Four of us did a pretty good job of hunting scallops. Three of the guys were good a swimming around and making a mess on the boat, but they were having fun doing that. We got about 5 gallons and I called no joy as I was tired of cleaning. We had enough to make a decent meal at the next campout. There were about 60 boats in the vicinity at that time and more on the way. Back to Keaton we go. I let each boy pilot the boat. They now have whiter teeth from grinnin' so hard in the sunlight. Boat back on the trailer and off to Perry we go for a fast food supper. Half want burger king and half want KFC. I take the half for KFC and off we hike. Washed the boat at the car wash behind the BP and back to Valdosta we headed. 15-20 minutes and half the crew is sleeping again. I have to admit, my eyelids were feeling the effects of gravity as well. Back to Valdosta and we only had to hollar 6 or 8 times to get the boys to clean their stuff out of the van. Boat hooked back to my truck and no resting peacefully in the road in front of my house.

No serious injuries, no equipment failure (a rarity for a Scout trip) and a good mess of scallops. All in all a great day.

Good night Irene!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloping with the Scouts

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Glad you guys had a fun time. Just wondering? What is it about you and young boys?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good job, MD! :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Good for you :thumbup: I'm sure those boys enjoyed themselves.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Glad you guys had a fun time. Just wondering? What is it about you and young boys?
I figure if I take them out and keep them occupied, then they are safe from you. :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!