Apalachicola Trout Trip 1/30/02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Competed for the "Trout "Championship of the Whole World" prize yesterday. Got trounced by my 75 year old fishing partner. I swear he conned me. The last couple trips I put it on him big time, and then he comes up with this end of season competition idea to see who's really the best. He wore me OUT!

We started out at Apalachicola, and he took the lead on big fish, and most fish, and I
never caught up. The Apalachicola River is up and muddy, but we found some clear water at
the mouth of one of the creeks, and got 5 keepers there, and 20 shorts before we pulled
out for afternoon fishing at the Gulf County Canal at Port St. Joe.

The tide started coming in as we got to the canal and with the incoming tide the fishing
picked up and we started boating some small trout on DOA's (of course) and grubs. We
probably caught around 30 fish, with 8 keepers, and I'm not telling how many of those I caught.

By 4:00 I threw in the towel. I looked at Hugh and said, "I guess you put it on me didn't you?" And he just smiled, like he knew he was going to all along. Couldn't have lost to a better fellow though.

The highlight of my day besides just being out there, was an 18" trout on a topwater
plug. We kept seeing strikes on baitfish on top of the water, and I just couldn't stand it anymore. I tied on a "Top Dog" which Capt Ron told me about, and chunked it out there
a few times and POW! this big trout just jumped all over it. Scared the &%$# out of me.
Great fun. Great day. Great company.
Dog
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

Sounds like alot of fun :grin:

So tell us how many did you get?? :smile:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

My ivitation to the trout championship must have gotten lost in the mail

Dog,
what is your biggest shoalie on fly tackle.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Dewya, I haven't caught one of those redeye bass over 2# or so. It might be my imagination but it seems to me those redeye bass fight more aggresively than largemouth. Do you think so?
I've caught some large mouth over there up to 5# on the flyrod.
Dog
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

In my humble opionion the shoal bass is the hardest fighter in fresh water,all things considered.
Try a white striper fly. Yes you heard me right. They are sometimes called "thing poppers". I seem to catch larger fish on them than on a bream bug.
If you want to target the shoal bass on fly a sinking minnow imitation cast upsteam with a very fast strip will produce more and better quality fish.
Set the hook like you are trying to snatch his lips off with a sideways strip set.
Keep rod tip as low as possible. They can throw a hook when they jump even a very light lure or fly.
This weather is making me want to give 'em a try very soon.

:cry: :cry:
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Thanks Dewya,
I'll pick me up some of those poppers. It won't be long 'fore it'll get good again on the river.
OD :lick: