Aggrevated!!!!!! Any suggestions????

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Aggrevated!!!!!! Any suggestions????

Post by dolphinatic »

I had the carbs rebuilt and plugs replaced on my '75 Merc 850 6 months ago to the tune of $250 :o Before this, the motor NEVER had a problem starting....even after it sat in a garage for 13 years!!!! I ran the boat a few days later and it ran great. I unplugged the fuel line at the motor and ran all the gas out back at the ramp. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the boat for the past few months, so it sat in the garage. I refilled the 6 gallon plastic tank with fresh gas and oil. The motor spins over fine, but will not start now. I pulled all the plugs, spun the motor for a moment, replaced the plugs, and it still will not start. I even shot a little starting fluid into the carbs while trying to start it, with the fuel line unplugged at the motor...nothing. I guess I will just have to find time to take it back to Porters and get lectured about not running it for a few months. Anybody got any suggestions before I haul it off again??????? I'm wondering how much of this problem can be attributed to the gas these days :-?

Thanks!

Tom
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Aggrevated!!!!!! Any suggestions????

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Did you check the fuse on the motor?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF YOU HAD YOUR FUEL LINE DISCONNECTED FROM THE MOTOR I WOULD RUN A WIRE UP THE FUEL PORT OF THE ENGINE AND FLUSH WITH GAS, DIRT DOBBERS ARE NOTOROUS ABOUT FILLING IN A FUEL PORT THAT IS NOT COVERED, NEVER LEAVE THE FUEL LINE OFF THE ENGINE EVEN AFTER RUNNIN THE FUEL OUT OF THE CARBS., ALWAYS JUST STICK IT ON BUT NOT LOCKED IN.
PA THE OLD MAN :smt006 :smt006 :smt009 :smt009
FUTCHCAIRO
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

I am no expert, but I would look at the plugs (clean or replace with new ones)

or maybe the plug wires: double check the wires condition and make sure it is snug, making a good connection and that it is actually making a spark.

Even if you are not getting fuel to the carbs the starting fluid should have made it pop, sputter and smoke (even if only for a split second). Makes me think your not getting a spark for some reason.

Good Luck :beer: :beer: :beer:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Did you check the fuse on the motor?
I'd try that as well. My Dad had to get towed because of a blown fuse.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Did you check the fuse on the motor?
And where would that be? I don't recall ever seeing one....
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It may sound silly BUT, check and make sure the kill switch hasn't been pulled :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

wevans wrote:It may sound silly BUT, check and make sure the kill switch hasn't been pulled :beer:
I doubt a 75 Merc has a kill switch :-D
Carbs man, it's all in the carbs. Take it back to Wavel, and get your azz chewing fpr letting it sit. I feel your pain Brother, I just got the same speech :smt010
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just had to have 3 on the keywest rebuilt at parkway. Sucks don't it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

carramar
Site Sponsor

Post by carramar »

If it was the carbs it would at least try to start with starter fluid! If the safety lanyard is attached, move it around a bunch and try the starting fluid! If nothing happens, make an appointment with a Merc tech! That is all.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Tom Keels wrote:Just had to have 3 on the keywest rebuilt at parkway. Sucks don't it.
Yep....I just didn't think I would have trouble again this quick. Before Porter rebuilt them 6 months ago, they had never been done and the boat ran like a charm! I guess I'll be taking her back down next week so she's running good for the Carrabelle Tourney :thumbup:

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Tom,also disconnect the temperature switch on the head and try it.
The fuse is also connected to the head under the cowling. Just follow your wires.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

wevans wrote:It may sound silly BUT, check and make sure the kill switch hasn't been pulled :beer:
The only kill switch this boat has is the ignition :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion though wevans :thumbup:

Team BevisRealty.com
Lighterknot

Post by Lighterknot »

not sure on this make,, but had similar problem on 30 hp mariner.. the coil pack was bad,, check for spark at the plug and plug wire.. If the fuse is not bad,, suspect the coil pack, should have 2 if its a 2 cylinder... one for low speed and one for high speed,, you can swap the 2 around and then try to start.. if it starts then low speed coil would be bad.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Lighterknot wrote:not sure on this make,, but had similar problem on 30 hp mariner.. the coil pack was bad,, check for spark at the plug and plug wire.. If the fuse is not bad,, suspect the coil pack, should have 2 if its a 2 cylinder... one for low speed and one for high speed,, you can swap the 2 around and then try to start.. if it starts then low speed coil would be bad.
I agree to check for spark. If you spray starter fluid in there and it does not start or at least try your problem is electrical. Remember it only takes three things to make it run: 1 Fuel: 2 Compression: and 3 spark. Assuming that you have compression the starting fluid becomes your fuel so you are down to spark. Probabley a coil.

Also my 2 cents worth.

Jim