Salt Water Trolling Motor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Semper Fi-sh
Site Sponsor

Salt Water Trolling Motor

Post by Semper Fi-sh »

Being a fairly new boat owner (09-2110 Bay) it has come time to add a Salt water trolling motor. I really don't want to get into a discussion on which manufactor is better Motor Guide or Minn-Kota or others. But I would like peoples opinion on 12 volts 55lbs thrust vs 24 volts 70lbs thrust. Any help would be great.
Chalk

Re: Salt Water Trolling Motor

Post by Chalk »

Bay boat - 24 volts without a doubt if you plan on using it
bbb

Post by bbb »

You'll need the 24v motor with that boat. A good breeze or strong tide and the 55 might be able to hold you on your spot, but you wouldn't gain much ground.

I had a 21ft Century Bay with a 101 36v motor. Just right. I could fight a headwind and a strong tide at the same time.
Semper Fi-sh
Site Sponsor

Post by Semper Fi-sh »

Thanks Guys, and again not trying to get something started. However, would you recommend a MinnKota SM 70 24v-70lbs-52"
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Definitely go with the 24 volts....... I've got a 24v - 80lb thrust I'll trade ya for a Harley. :)
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
bbb

Post by bbb »

I've always liked MinnKota. That said, I do have a 24volt stern mount motor guide that is around 15 years old and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Any issues I've ever had with my Minn Kotas were repaired by the Authorized repair center 10 minutes from the house, no questions asked. Even when the issue was my fault.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The MinnKota is a good choice.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I run a 22' Sea Chaser bay boat with a 24v 82# Motorguide and she does a fine job.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Snapperlr

Post by Snapperlr »

Where is closest place (near Tallahassee) to have a Minn Kota serviced or to buy parts?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

tm service center

3452 garber dr

tallahassee. FL

Phone: 850-574-4245
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Personally, I would go with the minn kota. Nothing against motor guide, but I have a 55# minn kota on my 16ft carolina skiff that has been treated like the dirtiest of hoes. It has the composite shaft that bends instead of breaks. Rocks, stumps, and oysterbeds, nothing phases this trolling motor. It also loves salt water! I recently bought a 22ft bay boat that was prewired for a 24v tolling motor. The boat drafts about 18in of water, and is a fairly heavy boat. I had a 60in long shaft minn kota 80# thrust installed, it pulls the boat very easily. My old minn kota has fixed speeds which vary from 1 thru 5, and occasionally will get hung up between the 1 and off setting. This is not a problem since I have learned to make sure that i twist the handle futher into the off position in order to cut it off. My new motor has an infinitely variable digital speed control, 0-100 i love it. I didnt want a foot control and dont think you will either. The handle will fold down parallel with the shaft in order to keep it out of the way when not in use. It also tilts up at about a 45 degree angle. the handle is also longer on my bigger motor, it's about 3inches longer. The handle also telescopes out to double the length. I would not go with the 3x steering option due to the fact that several of my friends have already had to replace the internal gear cable a couple of times due to to much torque while steering which cuases it to break. To sum it up, I am extremely happy with this setup. Things you should consider no matter which brand you go with, how high does your boat sit in the water, I can just about guarantee that on your bay boat your gonna need the longest shaft available. Is your boat pre wired for a 24v or a 36 volt? Remember with the 36 volt setup you are gonna need three batteries. At about $80 bucks per battery and the fact that they all have to be charged, the 24v option for me works best for me. Hope this this info will at the very least steer (no pun intended) you in the right direction.
TurtleCat
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Oh! I almost forgot. OOH RAH, DEVIL DAWG!
TurtleCat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

turtlecat wrote: I would not go with the 3x steering option due to the fact that several of my friends have already had to replace the internal gear cable a couple of times due to to much torque while steering which cuases it to break.

I have to disagree....I have the 24v 3X on a 22' bay boat and have never had a problem with it.... I'll admit, the 3X steering takes a little getting used to, but once you have, you wouldn't have anything else. I'm betting your friends are having to replace the drive gear because maybe they left the handle extended and when they pulled the motor up, the handle hit the deck causing the gear to strip, or somthing similiar. The local prop shop is also an authorized TM repair shop and he claims the 3X is one of the most dependable models but they do replace a lot of drive gears because of operator error.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

If that was how they broke the cable then they neglected to tell me that. I personally have had an experience where i was bowfishing on a good friends boat and got into some shallow sand. He panicked and instead of lifting the motor he decided to turn it, SNAP! I gave him plenty of sh-t after we had to end a night of bowfishing way to early. I also was quick to tell him that not only would my motor have turned in the sand without breaking, it also has reverse for a reason. Juan, at least we can both agree that minn kota makes a kick ass trolling motor! I'm glad you replied with your feedback. Semper fi-sh has many, many options to consider. I myself are, am, is, whatever extremely hard on fishing equipment. A simple failure on my boat is simply never an option.
TurtleCat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm pretty hard on my stuff too.. I try not to be, but I think I may be getting senile in my advanced age cuz I've taken off with the trolling motor still down more than once and even worse, I've taken off a couple times with the power pole still planted. Luckily, I haven't broken anything (yet). I agree with you completely turtlecat... the drive gear is the weakest part of a Minn Kota 3 X... and if I hadn't known that, I'd probably have broken the gear in mine by now. It must be made of plastic. Still a great trollng motor in my opinion. I love it and wouldn't change (except for a remote controlled TM). To answer Semper's question again..... unless it's a very small boat, go with the 24 volts, you'll be glad you did.