Gadsden County Rut Question

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

Gadsden County Rut Question

Post by caseycook »

Any of you folks that hunt in the Quincy / Gadsden County area, have you seen any rutting activity yet? At our place we saw the first scrapes the day after Thanksgiving and rubs appeared about a week before that. The bucks have split up, but we haven't seen any sign of chasing yet. This is our second year on a lease near Gretna so I don't have much past information to draw on. Last year most of the rutting activity was between the last week of December and the first week of January.

1) Have you seen any similar activity at your place?
2) When do the deer traditionally rut in the Quincy area?

Thanks for your help... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Boom goes the dynamite.
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Re: Gadsden County Rut Question

Post by cygraphics »

Usually around the end of December and first couple weeks of January. I hunt near quincy off 267. However, my friend saw a deer delivered to a processor that was shot about three miles south of us near talquin that had smelly glands and a thick neck. We usually start seeing more scrapes around the holidays.

Last year I shot a buck following does on the Feb. 8 though. There was a younger buck chasing as well. The previous years before though we had taken several bucks from Chrismtas time through about the middle of January. Those that were took later are usually following the does and stinky.

Shoot.... now I'm pumped!
1Nitrofish

Post by 1Nitrofish »

JT51?...I know he used to slip across the county line whenever the rut was on... :smt068 :smt067
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

I shot this one Monday morning in Coonbottom. Cygraphics is right, it doesn't relly start until the first week of January where I hunt. I have found a few rub lines and scrapes last week, but nothing fresh with all this rain. His neck was not swollen by any means.
I had to take it by my son's daycare to show him.....he was pumped!
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

Nice buck RiverRunner! :thumbup: :thumbup:
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Nice deer RR. My dad and one of his buds sat at our lease this morning. Pops saw 4 does, and his bud saw 4 does, 2 spikes and a tall 6 point. The 6 made a scrape and was scent-checking branches, but wanted no part of the 4 does feeding in the plot. I can't wait for the week after Christmas!
Boom goes the dynamite.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I shot a 9 pt. 2 weeks ago over at our property in Jefferson County. He was chasing a doe hot & heavy at 4:00 in the afternoon. It took an hour to draw him back out after he was first spotted. Even after I missed him with the first shot at 80 yards, he stuck around with the does. 20 minutes later, I got another shot at 150 yards and that one did him in :thumbup:

When I took him over to the processors at 7:30pm, there was a guy there that had just shot a nice 8 pt. over near Bradleys out Centerville Road. It was also chasing a doe when it was shot.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

I shot a 9 pt. 2 weeks ago over at our property in Jefferson County. He was chasing a doe hot & heavy at 4:00 in the afternoon. It took an hour to draw him back out after he was first spotted. Even after I missed him with the first shot at 80 yards, he stuck around with the does. 20 minutes later, I got another shot at 150 yards and that one did him in

When I took him over to the processors at 7:30pm, there was a guy there that had just shot a nice 8 pt. over near Bradleys out Centerville Road. It was also chasing a doe when it was shot.
That's what is so crazy about our area here. Simply cross over to the Northwest Section (FWC Zone - Currently Meridian Rd) and the rut changes. It's amazing it changes so much in only about twenty miles or so.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

cygraphics wrote:
I shot a 9 pt. 2 weeks ago over at our property in Jefferson County. He was chasing a doe hot & heavy at 4:00 in the afternoon. It took an hour to draw him back out after he was first spotted. Even after I missed him with the first shot at 80 yards, he stuck around with the does. 20 minutes later, I got another shot at 150 yards and that one did him in

That's what is so crazy about our area here. Simply cross over to the Northwest Section (FWC Zone - Currently Meridian Rd) and the rut changes. It's amazing it changes so much in only about twenty miles or so.
I know right!!!!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

cygraphics wrote:
All that's gonna change next year. Central zone is moving west.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Jeffry50

Post by Jeffry50 »

dolphinatic wrote:I shot a 9 pt. 2 weeks ago over at our property in Jefferson County. He was chasing a doe hot & heavy at 4:00 in the afternoon. It took an hour to draw him back out after he was first spotted. Even after I missed him with the first shot at 80 yards, he stuck around with the does. 20 minutes later, I got another shot at 150 yards and that one did him in :thumbup:

Dog I thought there was two bucks!! :smt109
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

I shot this 9 point (right split brow tine) last night at our lease when he came out at 5:50 p.m. looking for does. He walked to the food plot and fed facing me for about 5 minutes. He turned to leave and was walking directly away from me...as he was about to leave the field, I mouth grunted, he turned broadside and the 30.06 barked. 120 yard shot, deer DRT. Sat this morning as well and saw 3 bucks including a decent 8 point, but passed him up because he was smaller than the one I shot. If you have land in Gadsden County, I suggest you hunt the next couple of days. The bucks are rutting pretty hard for sure.
Boom goes the dynamite.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

riverrun is that a 788 rem and what cal. casey nice deer
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

1Nitrofish wrote:JT51?...I know he used to slip across the county line whenever the rut was on... :smt068 :smt067
I have not seen a bigger deer killed by anyone around here since then.
He was in rut. That was December 18th.(not this year)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

FHC wrote:riverrun is that a 788 rem and what cal. casey nice deer
It's a 6mm Remington Mohawk