12-16-09 Short Day at Work

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

12-16-09 Short Day at Work

Post by red_yakker »

I had a bad case of the kayak fever at work yesterday so I decided to use a little vacation time, despite the bitter cold wind.

The wind was blowing offshore, so I just paddled along the shoreline for a minute, then dropped the drift sock and let the wind carry me. My first three fish were under-slot trout, but as I approached the edge of the oyster bars, something nailed my Cajun Thunder like it was a topwater. I let it sit for a second, then WHAM, it took the Gulp! I knew it was a big ole redfish immediately, but as I got it closer to the boat, I realized it was a big ole bluefish instead. Bummer. I released him and within a minute or two hooked up with a 19 3/4 inch trout. Nice, on the stringer he goes. The next cast hooked me up with a fat 24 inch trout. Alright! :-D A few minutes later I landed a nice little 17 incher. :lick:

By then I had drifted a good ways offshore, and the wind was really beginning to howl. I decided it was time to head back since I already had more than enough for dinner. I began the paddle back against the wind and the outgoing tide. I haven't been kayaking much since my hand injury over the summer, so I'm not quite as conditioned as I was last spring, and this was some serious wind. I was back at the ramp by 4:00, completely worn out, freezing cold, wet, and wearing a huge grin on my face. Sure beats the Hell out of work. :D
Attachments
troutsies.jpg
troutsies.jpg (126.66 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: 12-16-09 Short Day at Work

Post by jsuber »

Good haul
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice trout
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Those are some nice trout! :thumbup: Glad ya made it back against that wind and tide... although spending Christmas in a Cuban Jail would make for an interesting post... :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice work Benji!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

By the way.... if you don't mind sharing, what area of the flats did all this take place?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Sir reel wrote:By the way.... if you don't mind sharing, what area of the flats did all this take place?
I put in at Yates Creek. If you're not familiar with it, it's about half way between Spring Warrior and Dekle Beach. Private land, but open to the public. I stayed within 3/4 mile of the creek mouth.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks.
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice catch and good report. But it sure does make me appreciate my outboard.
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

One of MY favorite holes.
Nice catch.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Jumptrout51 wrote:One of MY favorite holes.
Nice catch.
I forgot to mention that I rounded the corner and accidentally slipped up on a couple of teenagers smoking dope on your hole. :smt011
They sure were surprised to see me appear out of nowhere. :o
I guess FWC needs to invest in a few kayaks, no telling what you'll catch someone doing when they can't hear you coming.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

I don't know if I would stop for someone PADDLING after me. :-D Radio might find ya though. :(
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

slowroller wrote:I don't know if I would stop for someone PADDLING after me. :-D Radio might find ya though. :(
Easy, when they spot something "suspicious" drop the paddle and crank up the jet drive :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7qNjHOhOA