How do you check your Butt??

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

How do you check your Butt??

Post by Sir reel »

I need to hear from some of you experts (Chalk, Welby, etc). When checking the internal meat temp on a Boston Butt, do you leave it on the grill or remove it and then put it back on? If it's wrapped with foil, do you unwrap or just stick the thermometer thru the foil? If using a smoker with a water pan, and starting out unwrapped for the first half of the cooking time, would you remove the pan after wrapping and replacing on the grill for the second half of the cooking? Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Re: How do you check your Butt??

Post by PinFishKing »

I recently switched over to an electronic thermometer with a wire lead and probe. I leave the probe in the butt and read the temp from outside the smoker without opening the lid and losing the heat. If you must open the smoker to check the temp, I would open it and insert the thermometer and close the lid as soon as possible. After a couple of minutes reopen and check the temp. You can leave the glass type thermometers in but I have found the smoke clouds up the glass and makes it hard to read. It is best to keep the lid closed as much as possible.

Once I wrap the butt in foil I reinsert the probe through the foil. Always insert the thermometer through the foil, no need to umwrap it and again lose the heat and moisture. There is no need to leave the water pan in after the butt is wrapped. It will not hurt anything but it also does not help. With the butt wrapped, the moisture from the pan does not reach the meat anyway.
You just can't fix stupid.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:thumbup: Thank you PFK
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Thats pretty much it I am looking for 180 min 200 max a little hotter is easier to pull and gets more of the fat out. I do not let it sit to long pulling hot makes it easier to get the fat off. Also I have just started to use a food processor to chip the meat up it rocks!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
bman

Post by bman »

Oh come on... :roll:
I tuned in for the fun answers :lol:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I understand Bman.... I'm a bit surprized as well but I appreciate the information. We got some good folks on this forum. Sort of figured I'd hear something like....
Jumptrout wrote: Mirror :oops:
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

It would have been too easy :-D - anyway some of us take grilling very serious. Check out my Christmas present below. :smt007 250 gallon tank, 4 slide out racks, offset firebox, 3500 lb Dexter axle, new 6 ply tires and new rims. Custom built by Beam's Custom smokers in Section Alabama. Since this picture was taken I have added two 3" professional temp gauges - one on each door. I smoked several turkeys and hams for friend's at Christmas to break it in. I named it "The Other Woman". For several years now my wife say she is a BBQ widow.

You just can't fix stupid.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALK'N BOUT :smt007
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

PinFishKing wrote:I recently switched over to an electronic thermometer with a wire lead and probe. I leave the probe in the butt and read the temp from outside the smoker without opening the lid and losing the heat. If you must open the smoker to check the temp, I would open it and insert the thermometer and close the lid as soon as possible. After a couple of minutes reopen and check the temp. You can leave the glass type thermometers in but I have found the smoke clouds up the glass and makes it hard to read. It is best to keep the lid closed as much as possible.

Once I wrap the butt in foil I reinsert the probe through the foil. Always insert the thermometer through the foil, no need to umwrap it and again lose the heat and moisture. There is no need to leave the water pan in after the butt is wrapped. It will not hurt anything but it also does not help. With the butt wrapped, the moisture from the pan does not reach the meat anyway.
Not to be short but "ditto" what PFK said. I smoked 15 butts last week for Christmas and I have been using the electronic Thermometer for a few years now. I do keep my handy pocket thermometer to check individual butts as I go. I never remove the butts to check temps and I insert the thermometer right through the foil. I also agree with the comments about the water pan, after the wrapping it really has no effect.

By the way, the 15 from last week turned out great if I do say so myself.....As for the cute comments....I like my butt "rubbed" :D

Good luck !
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I'll play
"With my right hand".
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Welby wrote:As for the cute comments....I like my butt "rubbed" :D
Too funny, Welby... could be worse -- word has it that JT51 likes his spanked ;-)

Having followed the tournament posts this year, seems that Casey and Bad B. took good care of him :lol: :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I'm doing 2 butts tomorrow and a bacon wrapped venison backstrap. Headed to Sam's in a few to stock up.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Just got back to my desk after a quick trip to Wally World... Charcoal, $14 digital thermometer, misc other.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I am waiting on JT51 to respond to this thread, ha!
Team Jolly Mon
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

PinFishKing wrote:I recently switched over to an electronic thermometer with a wire lead and probe.
I just started using these as well. They work great! Or at least mine does. Meat turns out perfect everytime. :thumbup:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ecue+Tools
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem