NFGFC Redfish Tournament 2/13/10 - CANCELLED

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

NFGFC Redfish Tournament 2/13/10 - CANCELLED

Post by caseycook »

Sorry guys, it appears we're cursed this year. The weather is too sketchy for us to have the tournament on Saturday and the tournament committee has decided unanimously to cancel the redfish tournament. Our next tournament will be on March 6, 2010 out of Jerry's Bait and Tackle and we'll be fishing for trout. I'll start a roll call for that tournament sometime next week and will have more details for you all at a later date.

Believe me, nobody wants to fish as bad as I do, but the conditions predicted for Saturday are not any to mess around with. The club will not be having a tournament on Saturday, but if some of you who are still planning on fishing Saturday want to hold your own tournament (either at JBT or at the Fort), you're more than welcome to borrow the club scales.

If anybody has any questions or would like to talk about the tournament committee's decision, feel free to give me a call...(850) 228.8559.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: NFGFC Redfish Tournament 2/13/10 - CANCELLED

Post by Sir reel »

Sorry the year has been so difficult for the committee so far. Your calls have been in the best interest of the members...hard to challenge that. Thanks for your work :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Thanks for the headsup......I know the top priority of the committee is the safety of the members during these tournaments and Saturday ain't looking too pretty.
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Good call, It would have been windy, cold and extremely shallow. Bring on trout season.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

dammit - I was so looking forward to freezing my arse off and fighting with Tincan and then making up :smt007 :smt005 :smt005
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Thanks for the heads up.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Chalk Wrote:
dammit - I was so looking forward to freezing my arse off and fighting with Tincan and then making up
You don't need to be in a boat ta do all that do ya?? COME ON DOWN AND STAY A WHILE... :smt007 :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Really? There isn't even a small craft advisory and still canceling. :smt011 You do know that March 6th is the Chilli Cook Off on St. George. Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun in fishing tournaments is to see how you do with the conditions that you are dealt.......that's how you get better! I was really looking forward to fishing all of these tournaments this year. Very disappointed. :smt011

Saturday...North wind 15 to 20 knots...decreasing to 10 to 15 knots late in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 feet nearshore and 4 to 6 feet offshore...subsiding to 2 to 3 feet nearshore and 3 to 5 feet offshore. Protected waters a moderate chop.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Chalk wrote:dammit - I was so looking forward to freezing my arse off and fighting with Tincan and then making up :smt007 :smt005 :smt005
Now we know how Tin hurt his back :lol:
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

No fluke is still fishing Keyser would you like to hook up and fish with Carson and I?
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

kneeknocker wrote:No fluke is still fishing Keyser would you like to hook up and fish with Carson and I?
I will give you a buzz if we still go. The conditions shouldn't be bad where the fish are.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

Address all complaits to Al Gore.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

captkeyser wrote:Really? There isn't even a small craft advisory and still canceling. :smt011 You do know that March 6th is the Chilli Cook Off on St. George. Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun in fishing tournaments is to see how you do with the conditions that you are dealt.......that's how you get better! I was really looking forward to fishing all of these tournaments this year. Very disappointed. :smt011

Saturday...North wind 15 to 20 knots...decreasing to 10 to 15 knots late in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 feet nearshore and 4 to 6 feet offshore...subsiding to 2 to 3 feet nearshore and 3 to 5 feet offshore. Protected waters a moderate chop.
The fact of the matter is that it’s February and we have to look at a number of other things besides wind. A small craft advisory in July is different than one in February (or even 10-15 knot winds) in my, and in most of the tournament committee’s opinion.

Saturday the water temperature will be in the 40’s. There’s also a big tide swing that day with high tide coming around 2:15. You’ll have a whole bunch of water trying to push into the St. Marks River, while the wind is doing its best to hold it all out. At the same time people will be heading back to the ramp. You and I both know that under those conditions waves stack up in the St. Marks channel. Big waves and small boats usually mean that someone’s going to get wet. Getting wet in 30 degree temperatures is dangerous. Not to mention, not all of our members have the boating experience that you do. Some might not have ever handled a boat in those conditions.

It’s been argued that they COULD stay in the river, but do some of them have the experience to know better than to venture out onto the flats in those conditions? I think the answer is NO. Would everyone be dressed appropriately or have spare clothes in case they get wet? Again, probably not.
At the end of the day, the committee has to make a decision for all of the participants. Some are more experienced than others for sure, but we have to look out for EVERYONE and we also have to look out for the best interests of the club.

Again, nothing is stopping you from fishing on Saturday. Pretend that it’s tournament day or better yet, host your own tournament for those who want to fish. Make an announcement on BBF. You can borrow the club scales. That way you can get the tournament experience out of fishing on Saturday.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

26 FT MAKO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

MAV wrote:26 FT MAKO

32 ft great white