econfina 2-03-02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CHRIS DEASON

Post by CHRIS DEASON »

My partner and I went fishing early sun. morning and started off fishing west of the river with chug bugs on a outgoing tide.We caught 32 nice trout up to 27" until about noon when the tide turned.After a hour of no wind or tide,the wind picked up out of the south @ about 10 knots w/ a incoming tide.Thats when the bite turned on.In about 3.5 feet(drifting N.) using bone diamond grubs,we landed 67 more keeper trout(with witnesses)until 4:00 in the afternoon.
The bait fish are everywhere on the flats and the trout fishing is unbelievable!
rookie

Post by rookie »

Great report! :grin: Are the trout on the flats, or where they just hanging around the mouth of the river?
CHRIS DEASON

Post by CHRIS DEASON »

They are all the way out to 12 foot at the bird racks.Last thurs.,we mainly stayed close to the shore and in front of the creek mouths and caught some nice reds and trout,but nothing close to what happened sunday(out of all those fish we caught,only 3 fish were not over 15 inches).Try to stay in about 1 to 4 foot for the best fishing.
I don't know what this cold weather is going to do to them this week,but I am pretty sure that they will go deep instead of going back up in the river.There are billions of bait fish out there and it is going to take alot of cold weather to get them off of the flats.
rookie

Post by rookie »

Thats great to hear, fishing in the rivers is okay, but it's nothing like being on the flats!
jcflats

Post by jcflats »

Thanks for the post Chris, you really got my blood pumping agian, my trip last week was meet with a strong southern wind and I couldn't get out of the protected areas. This may be a great spring, but who knows. I don't think very many fish have been caught out of the river this year as compared to last year. Plenty of big fish sitll roaming the flats with this years weather pattern. I can't wait! :razz:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

67 keeper trout with witnesses? What kind of witness did the trout have? :grin:
CHRIS DEASON

Post by CHRIS DEASON »

Sorry about my grammar.I guess it does sound somewhat stupid that the trout had the witness. :lol: