Hello from Dothan

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FISHERNORM

Hello from Dothan

Post by FISHERNORM »

Hello all, I'm new to kayak fishing. I don't own a yak yet. Anyone in or near Dothan that wouldn't mind offering a "newbie" guidance? I'm mainly interested in salt water fishing. Although an occasional visit to a lake or river to fish would be great too.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Hello from Dothan

Post by Sea Dawg »

Welcome aboard Fishernorm ..there a Guy that lives in dothan that come in the room his handle is Olddog i think..
FISHERNORM

Post by FISHERNORM »

Hello Sea Dog, thanks for the warm welcome and the info. I've been browsing up here and getting some good info. I'll have to confess that my selection of lures are slim. I'm trying to get a suggested list of lures to have in my arsenal.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard Fishernorm
FISHERNORM wrote: I'll have to confess that my selection of lures are slim. I'm trying to get a suggested list of lures to have in my arsenal.
Hang around here, meet a few folks, and talk to a few folks. Then, after a year or so, let us know how many lures you have. :-D :wink:

Personally, I only have 2 or three lures. :smt005
What was I supposed to do today?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YA MIGHT GIVE MY FRIEND DON TUCKER A CALL THERE IN DOTHAN, HE IS ONE HECK OF A FISHERMAN, TALK NICE TO HIM AND HE JUST MIGHT TAKE YA ON A TRIP.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

BIGGEST WORD OF ADVICE TO SOMEONE NEW TO KAYAK FISHING: DON'T SKIMP ON THE YAK!

BUY ONE THAT HAS ENOUGH WEIGHT CAPACITY TO KEEP YOU UP OUT OF THE WATER. REMEMBER, THE LONGER THEY ARE, THE BETTER THEY WILL TRACK, MEANING MORE SPEED EASIER. THE SHORTER ONES DON'T TRACK AS WELL (UNLESS YOU HAVE A RUDDER), BUT THEY ARE MORE MANUVERABLE.

THERE ARE DIFFERENT HULL TYPES TOO. A ROUND BOTTOM WILL ROLL EASIER THAN A FLAT BOTTOM OR A TRI-HULL. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO STAND AND FISH ANY, YOU WILL NOT WANT A ROUND BOTTOM, UNLESS YOU HAVE OUTRIGGERS, BUT OUTRIGGERS SLOW YOU DOWN AND CAN GET IN THE WAY WHEN YOU'RE FISHING, PLUS THEY ARE EXPENSIVE UNLESS YOU BUILD YOUR OWN.

I RECCOMEND TRYING OUT A COUPLE DIFFERENT TYPES BEFORE YOU SETTLE, IF YOU CAN.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
cotton

Post by cotton »

Welcome and try this site also.

http://www.alabamariverfishing.net/
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

FISHERNORM wrote:Hello all, I'm new to kayak fishing. I don't own a yak yet. Anyone in or near Dothan that wouldn't mind offering a "newbie" guidance? I'm mainly interested in salt water fishing. Although an occasional visit to a lake or river to fish would be great too.
If you're not in a hurry and if you narrow your search down to a Ocean Kayak....... I'm getting ready to sell my Ocean Kayak Prowler in a few weeks. It's wide and stable and I've added the rudder so it's much easier to track and when your drifting with the wind you can use it to change your drift... glad I've added it. I'm going to throw in everything I have. Crate Mate, Captain Dicks Stakeout pole, paddle, rod holders, upgraded seat with camel back for water, plus the Thule yak carriers that attach to a OE roof rack.

The yak has some good mojo too!!! :-D Shoot me an e-mail and I can fill you in on what I've got, etc. tcreasy@campingworld.com
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Are you finally getting a boat KY?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Barhopr wrote:Are you finally getting a boat KY?

Yep, found a 16' 04 Hewes Redfisher in Jacksonville, FL. pretty much pimped out. It's been well taken care of and I pick it up on April 10th. I think it's gonna be what I need for now. Kim can go with me and soak up the sun while I fish and it should be a pretty dry ride for us on the way back if it's rough in the bay. Also, I will now be able to poach Chalk's land with speed and efficiency.... :lol: :lol:

Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Now you've done it, Tim. Might as well warn your wife and hand over the checkbook. No turning back.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

What you need right away is a Sea Shocks helm mat and collapsible bow casting platform. :lol:
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

silverking wrote:Now you've done it, Tim. Might as well warn your wife and hand over the checkbook. No turning back.
SK - I know!! Kim was pretty excited about it till I told what "BOAT" was short for.... :-D

Image Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

silverking wrote:What you need right away is a Sea Shocks helm mat and collapsible bow casting platform. :lol:

Don't think I didn't read your post SK..... :wink:

Image Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Fishernorm - I didn't mean to derail your thread. PM me or shoot me an email anytime and I'd be glad to throw in my $.02 on what i've gone through with my Yak. You couldn't have found a better bunch of folks here to help you out! :thumbup:

Image Image