Advice on Wading equipment

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Advice on Wading equipment

Post by Sir reel »

This weekend I decided to try a simpler style of fishing. :D Drove to Wakulla Beach on Saturday, arriving around 12:30. Walked/waded/fished my way west to the oyster bar. Threw gold spoons, topwater, jigs, CT's with both jigs and shrimp. No bite at all for 2 hours other than bait fish which were everywhere. About 3pm was standing on the oyster bar (knee deep) with the tide starting to go back out. Decided to head back towards where I'd parked and fish all the way back. Half way back had a real good hit on the CT with a pink/green grub. Was waist deep at the edge of the grass and the fish swam straight towards me. Got him to within 4 ft of me and could see a super nice trout. He looked right at me, opened that mouth, flared his gills and broke off on some sharp grass. I swear my coffe cup would have fit in his mouth! I hadn't brought any leader material with me when I waded out so made the trip to shore and got some out of my tackle bucket. I retied and waded back out. Hooked up on the next cast and brought in a keeper. As I was lifting him out, he took one of those famous "right at the boat" flops and came off. Had a few more good hits in the next 10 minutes and then it just shut off and was just as dead as it had been for the first 2 hours. After this experience it ocurred to me that I may not be as prepared for this type of fishing as I should be. Would like to hear from some of you folks who shore/wade fish a lot. Do you play the fish until you can pick them up? Carry a net, (if so what kind)? Carry a lip gripper, small gaff, etc.? I really enjoyed this experience. Found that I was more aware of the natural "stuff" going on around me much more than when I'm in the boat. Pretty day.... could see the light house across the water.... absolutely zero bugs/flies... nice breeze... real nice day. Can still see that trout looking at me with his mouth wide open :( .... :o :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

My wade fishing is done in quite a different enviroment, to that which you enjoy.
However, your question applies to us both.
I wear a light bouyancy aid waiscoat, which has enough pockets for essential equipment such as, lure boxes, scissors, forceps, swivels, leader material, water etc.

I also use a collapsible landing net, with an extending handle.
This hangs on the back of my waiscoat, until I need it.
Its almost impossible, to safely pick up a good fish from the water without a net, when wading.
The wait can be too long, to waste it losing fish.

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning Cranfield, thanks for the reply. I had on one of those long sleeve shirts that has 4 velcro pockets plus various loops sewn on. I had extra jigs/shrimp/grubs/swivels/hooks/but no leader material. :o I had room but just didn't stuff any in a pocket. Can you get everything you need in or on your vest/waistcoat or do you also take a bucket or ?? If I could have carried everything without the bucket that would have been even better. When you do harvest a fish how do you keep it? stringer/mesh bag/?? How heavy would you say your vest weights with a full complement of necessary's (water, sandwich, snickers, etc :lick: ) Thanks again for the information and picture.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

As I wade in running water mostly, the bouyancy aid waiscoat is a safety first item.
It has enough pockets for everything I need, but I do think carefully before I load them.
We are all guilty of carrying far more items than we will ever need.
I do not use a bucket, or anything similar.

Whats heavy ?
Best thing is to go to a Chandlers and try some on, they are suprisingly light (could be the flotation panels :wink: )

If you don,t need the buoyancy aid facility, look at the mesh fishing waiscoats, very lightweight, with lots of pocket space.
You could even use your shirt pockets as well.

I have seen floating containers, with lids, that you can tow behind you with extra food, drinks etc.
But, I can,t find them on any website at the moment.

Any fish I retain, are kept in a mesh bag, looped on my trouser belt.
But, I don,t have sharks cruising around me, when I,m fishing. :o
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I use a Wade-Aid belt. They are make in Texas. Has lots of room for stuff.
http://www.wadeaid.com/
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I've used a stringer but I have to admit it is an uneasy feeling to have a fish on the stringer and forget it is there until it bumps into your leg, or to start thinking about sharks. I would've loved to have had one of those nets last time I went with Calm Seas.

The new super wal-mart had some inexpensive wading vest last time I was in there. I can't justify buying one when I only wade once or twice a year.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

This may not work for everyone, but I have used a car iner tube. Get an ice chest that will fit in the tube and then blow it up. The chest is secure, won't come out and can cary your ice and plastic containers with leaders and lures, and in my case cigars. It follows behind you and you have someting to grab in the event of an emergency. If scaloping an dive flag can be attached. If you like mesh bags rather than fish in the cooler the mesh bag is attached to the tube and is away from your legs should you attract a shark with the fish. I have hung a water proof radio on the tube. When you get hungry the beer and sandwiches are real close. Hope this helps.

CHARLIE PORRETTO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Great idea's and information from all of you. Thanks. :thumbup: :D

Captain Charlie, I especially like your suggestions. Although it would be more cumbersome to deal with ( if necessary to carry out of the water)... it would certainly provide for carrying a lot of gear and would keep any scent from fish contained in the cooler plus provide a means to keep em iced down. As far as waders... I hit the Super Walmart and purchased just the hip style($26). Was very pleased with their quality. Don't particularly like the chest type and I can use the hip style to clean out some of my lake front if I get real motivated. :o I also found that I could stick the rod butt down inside one of the legs wihen I was changing lures or retying.... worked real well. If I were using the chest type I would most likely be just outside the grass line and would not be returning to shore as often. But, what I was doing was to fish a spot at the edge of the grass, return to shore walk a bit, then stop... wade out through the grass to the edge and fish that spot. If there are anymore suggestions out there keep em coming. This has turned out to be a very good thread (IMO) :D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

My favorite wading tool is my kayak.
Which tools do you really need?
Part of the point of wading is simplifying. So how do you bring what you need & not compromise simplicity? Safety in releasing a fish without injuring yourself or the fish is a primary issue. Experience with the many species we have helps when you don’t have a boat, dock, or land to assist you (see sheepshead operculum). I find that trout get pretty reasonable when they are laying or your hand still in the water. I don’t like to carry a net and I’ve lost fish because I couldn’t get a hold of them. But if I’m wading I rarely keep fish anyway. One of those fish grippers might be nice. I do always have long pliers. I did use a vest but now I just use a simple waist pack. If I’m deep, which isn’t real often, I put it around my neck/shoulder. The belt also makes for a secure site to tuck the butt end of the rod when I’m releasing fish or re-rigging.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I wade with either of two setups. One is to use this styrofoam floating device I got as a gift about 8 years ago, called a "Flats Caddie." I just did a quick web search and didn't see it. But it is really cool. It is made out of a block about three feet long, 15" wide and maybe 8" high. This is cut in various ways. Each end has a compartment, one with a lid. One end also has two rod-holder holes and a can or bottle holder hole. Then the middle part is cut down to maybe 3 or 4" and it has a big hole in it with a bait bucket! When I go with that, I bring a spare, rigged rod, bait bucket, stringer, net, and tackle, along with at least water.

When I go light, I may or may not take a net. But wading, I always tire the keeper fish out before I take them. If it is a red, he gets to run. I am very gentle with them, and do not use a net. If I am to release, I carefully revive. Either way, I squat down in the water and just cradle those babies; no net required. You will loose more trout this way, but usually my interest is in the reds. Now the catfish . . . . I will often have a net but not use it for reds: I enjoy the experience and the releasees are happier, they tell me.

I have a lanyard around my neck with little scissors and clippers, needle-nose pliers in my shirt pocket. The net, if I have it, I stick down the back of my shorts. If no flats caddie, I will tow a flo-thru bait bucket and the net hadle goes in the waist rope for that. I will carry spare leader and hooks and floats or whatever.

I do use a stringer and have often had that creepy feeling of the fish swimming around my legs, sometimes wrapping me in the rope. I try to attach in such a way that the shark won't pull me away.