Take a Kid Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Take a Kid Fishing

Post by Greenbone »

Hey Captains,

Weather has warmed, water is just right, fishin' is turning on. I talked to Bo, house parent at Fla. Baptist Childern Home, said there are about 24 little ones age from 17 to 6 years old, looking forward to our annual Take a Kid Fishing. Date is Saturday, May 15 2010 out of the Fort as usual in St Marks. I have about 6 captains and their families or crews already confirmed. Please call 850 510 0828 or E mail me at doneengland@gmail.com. As usual Ms Karen is cooking lunch for anyone attending. Fishing is from 8 to 12, back in by 1pm for lunch at the pavillion.

If you ever wanted to make a kid happy and have unforgetable memories,this is a day you wont forget for a long time.

Don England
850-510-0828
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Take a Kid Fishing

Post by Steve Stinson »

I don't see a lot of responses here... If you guys can help Don out with this, please respond. Currently, he only has about half the boats and captains that he needs. No special fishing skills are needed - These kids only get to fish this one time per year, so they are happy with pinfish, sea bass, or whatever you can catch. (If you can get a shark, you become a hero).

- Steve Stinson
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Hey everyone, lets go, get on board. This is a very rewarding event and you will enjoy every minute of it. I participated last year and it was a blast. Good day of fishing with the kids was had by all. :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Got a wedding that day Stinky and One Keeper
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

The Take A Kid Fishing event is only 3 weeks from this coming Saturday. I haven't seen a lot of interest yet so please take a look at your Calendar's and consider participating this year. We don't want to leave any kids behind who want to go but don't have a ride. You won't regret it. If you have a youngster, Grand child, neighbor, etc. They encourage you to bring them and allow them to interact with the youngsters from the Children's Home. If you can participate, please contact Don England and tell him to add you to the Captain's list. email doneengland@gmail.com or call 850 510 0828. Thanks
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Troutinator

Post by Troutinator »

Don, count the Troutinator in on this years event, last year my wife, shannon and myself got the pleasure of taking two wonderful girls out and all had a blast. The truth of no matter the size is so true, and the spirit of great competition comes out in numbers and size. I am having to chaparone a 5th grade trip to Sea World the day before, but will not miss this event the next day. Any of you captains that have not done this should give this a try, and one time you will be hooked. The spirits of the kids when they first get there if they are first timers or even been there before seems a bit scary to them and to myself as a captain as a first timer last year, but that fear is soon tamed and gives way to that first scream of a fish on! These kids deserve this, and derserve your time for one day and a great thank you is owed to all the volunteers and Don who put this on every year. the stories that are told at the lunch will never ever be forgotten. the only thing i would have loved to be is the fly on the wall when the kids got to tell their story of the days events to others. You dont want to miss this event. Take the time it is well worth every bite.
:smt006 :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
He who loses control, Loses!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

The experience that Troutinator has shared from last year is one that we hear a lot from Captains who have shared their boat and a morning with some excited kids. He is absolutely spot on regarding the disregard of any size issues or even species. These youngsters just eat up being on the water many for the first time. Troutinator... make sure you touch base with Don so he has your information and Thanks to you and your wife :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'd love to get involved. I'm not yet 100% on the date, but will know soon. Where can I get more details?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Salty Gator- Give Don a call. He would love to have another boat for the event this year as it seems there are not as many as there usually are. His # is 850 510 0828. The event is May 15. You show up, take the kids fishin, have a blast, teach them what the outdoors has to offer, and come back to the fort and have a cookout. Its a blast and very rewarding. You should join! :thumbup: Putem on those fish I know you know how to catch! :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Captains -

We are getting very close to the TAKF fishing date. At this point, we have 8 committed boats and 24 children…no where near enough to launch this event.

If we can’t get a commitment for another 12 boats by this coming Sunday (May 2) we have no choice but to cancel this fishing event ending 6 consecutive years of TAKF!

We really need your help. Call your friends, neighbors, and call me at 850-510-0828, or email me at doneengland@gmail.com.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Im totally in to it, just need to clear the date. I'll work on a few buddies also. St marks isn't really my area, but we'll do our best. I know Jordan can help me out with a few spots. Ps Jordan, can't wait to tell you about the day we had last weekend!!
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Greenbone wrote:Captains -

We are getting very close to the TAKF fishing date. At this point, we have 8 committed boats and 24 children…no where near enough to launch this event.

If we can’t get a commitment for another 12 boats by this coming Sunday (May 2) we have no choice but to cancel this fishing event ending 6 consecutive years of TAKF!

We really need your help. Call your friends, neighbors, and call me at 850-510-0828, or email me at doneengland@gmail.com.
:smt011

I would hope that we could do better than to have to cancel. Those young folks deserve better from us. :oops:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

BTT
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Count me in!!!
I will check with my son and if he is in town he can use my other boat too!!!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thank you reelcatch. We appreciate your response. Please let Don know your intentions.
850-510-0828, or email him at doneengland@gmail.com.
WHOSE NEXT??