need input

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

need input

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Guys thinking about opening a fishing and outdoor store in crawfordville just pass the courthouse on the right hand side. Just looking for some inputm
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: need input

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Hell yeah, why not?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Lot of fishing folks travel past that spot heading to the coast from points north. :thumbup:

salute2
Semper Fi
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You can become a NFGFC sponsor and get publicity from me.
You will have to stop fishing,there won't be any time for it.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I'm hardly ever over that way, so it wouldn't much affect me, but I'm all for new sporting goods stores opening up. We don't have any really good ones in Perry. Why don't you open one up down around Keaton Beach?

I'll tell you why I'd be scared do it personally. You may make a killing this time of year, through the end of the Summer, then go broke waiting on the Spring to get here.

Although there are several people in the area who fish all year, I'm not sure that there are enough of them to support a sporting goods store in a small town like Crawfordville during the "off season".

Good luck if you do decide to give it a try. I'd be happy to drive to Crawfordville for new reel/rods/tackle rather than Tallahassee.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I'M WITH RED YOU GOT TO HAVE DEEP POCKETS TO MAKE THE LONG WINTER, THEN THERE'S CRUM'S WHICH OFFERS GAS AND 10,000. ROD AND REEL COMBOS.AT FIRST YOUR GET A LOT OF SUPPORT THEN WALMART AND OTHERS WILL BE THERE AND YES THE HOURS SUX
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

red_yakker wrote: Why don't you open one up down around Keaton Beach?
My guess is no one is going to drive all the way to Keaton Beach, buy some stuff and then turn around and go back to Econfina, Aucilla or Fenholloway.
Where would you put it?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

DO THIS CALL JR'S AND JERRY'S BAIT ASK THEM. THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY CONFLICT WITH THEM. OTHERSIDE IS IF YOU CAN MAKE IT KNOW THE WAY THING ARE IT WILL BE EASIER IN A BETTER ECONOMY,WHEN EVE THAT MAY BE.IS THERE ROOM FOR HOW MANY BOATS ?
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

There is 2.5 aceres with the property
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

Chill, adding boat storage to the 2.5 acres might help with the winter slow down etc. I know a few guys north that would love affordable boat storage closer to the water. Add ice, live shrimp, etc and it may work. 319 used to have CJ's(I think it was called) further south but its been closed for quite a while now.

Now if you could open down by the highschool/rec park and add lunch/snacks to the ticket you might have a thriving business. Fishermen in the mornings, students for lunch (have you seen how many students eat at the Chevron at lunch and after school?), and rec park kids looking for their coach to buy them an icecream cone for winning the game. Throw in some fried green tomatoes, fresh lemonaid, and sunscreen and I think you cover the rest of the population driving south :)
littlejohn
Site Sponsor

Post by littlejohn »

We can use a good tackle shop down here, Go for it!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

CIRCLE "J" AND ADVANTAGE MARINE BOTH WERE FINE SHOPS AND ARE GONE. YOU WILL NEED SOMETHING ELSE TO OFFER LIKE "JUST FISH" SAID. I KNOW SOME WHOLESALERS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE ROUND HERE USE IF YOU OPEN UP.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

It's easy to talk about opening a business, and the simpler you keep it, the easier it will be, but less opportunity for income as well.

Food = food/beverage license
Boat Storage = hefty insurance
Live bait = costly contractors
etc.

Contact local stores throughout the state and see out they started out, talk to advisors at DBPR: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/index.html

I'd love more local business, I just hate to see people go balls-to-the-wall (excuse my french, but best way to describe it) and not do their research and have a true understanding of operating a stand-alone business.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Angie has a bait shop at AMS now, Crum's has a large selection of fishing supplies and a dive shop just opened in the old Advantage Marine building. I think it would be a tuff go right now, with the others already in business and the economy the way it is. Just my 2 cents, but I will do my best ta supprot ya if you do open it :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

Forgot about Angies Marine just barely down 98, she is selling live shrimp and bull minnoes and alittle tackle.