Streches

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Streches

Post by Sea Fox »

I need some advise on what colors, speeds, downriggers etc. works for grouper, caught one 30" sat on a pink back plug and thought I needed to know more about trolling for grouper. Thanks!
Sea Ya !
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Here is an article about it.

http://www.whopperstopper.net/readingro ... elimit.htm

I think I would try repeating what I was doing when I caught the 30 incher. :thumbup:
Ken
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Thanks Ken, that article had alot of good info. And beleive me I remember where and how I caught that big gag. We had been bottom fishing all day and on the way in we trolled some. So it was a good way to end the day. 8)
Sea Ya !
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I troll 3.5 to 4.5 mph. No more, no less. I normally troll 30 pound trilene big game green, with a 4 foot 80 pound leader. I vary the distance behind the boat based on water depth and bait. If I want to troll a stretch 25 in 15-20 feet of water I'll put out about 50-75 feet of line. If I'm trolling a 30 in 25-35 feet, I'll put out 100-150 feet of line.

I haven't really found a color that doesn't work at all, but I have found that certain colors work better. I like chartruese+any other color, blue/silver, blue/black, blue/white, firetiger (orange, green, black, yellow in any pattern) and the old standby is red and white. I haven't done as good on the chrome colors, but you need to have clear water for those and that is something we haven't had in the last couple of years. Stretch makes the Loud and Noisy in orange over chartruese that is just deadly.

As for brands, I like the stretches and rapalas the best. The rapala cd 10 and cd 18 are killers. Tin Can turned me on to the Barramundi Maulers and the Storm Deep Thunders. These are some killer baits as well.

Here is a picture of a way I rig sometimes. I got the idea from whopperstopper and its a great way to catch 2 fish at a time.

Last edited by Tom Keels on November 24th, 2003, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Thanks Tom, for some very useful info. I can see a trip to basspro in my near future. Sounds like you,ve done alot of trolling. Maybe sometime you could go fishing with me and give me some pointers. 8)
Sea Ya !
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I'm sure that could be arranged. 8)
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Do you guys troll two (or more) Stretches at the same time? The little I have done it we just used one rig and held the rod by hand.
Ken
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Depending on the boat we sometimes troll 3 and a spoon on top. Let the rodholder do the work.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I looked at some turn-out rod holders today so my rods will be pointing out to the side to give me a wider spread. 50 dollars a peice at boaters world. Guess Ill have to wait, I need a few plugs first. 8)
Sea Ya !
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »