Ruined Fishing trip...

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aquamaholic

Ruined Fishing trip...

Post by Aquamaholic »

This was going to be a fishing report, but my boat had other plans....

After a long week of looking forward to spending some time on the water, Saturday was finally here. About 0600 I headed down to the Light House ramp. I had the boat gassed up, Ice in the box and all my rods rigged up, I was ready to roll. Launched at about 0700 to nice skies and a light breeze. Idled out to the Channel and let 'er rip...... the boat sputtered, spat and bogged down. Okay, lets try this again. No go, I was only running on 3 of the 4 cylinders. I deciced to limp it back to the ramp in hopes of finding an easy fix. No luck there either.

Decided to take the boat back to the house and see what I could find out. Ended up checking all the filters (which were only about a month old), they look good, spark plugs looked good (new also), Fuel lines were fine as well as the primer ball. After a little more digging I found that the number 4 cylinder wasnt getting any spark, looks like the coil. I priced the coil about $70 not too bad, and its easy to get to.

It sure messed up my plans though.

Rant Off salute2

On the positive side I am looking forward to spending time with family and celebrating our Vets!

Yall have fun and be safe!
Last edited by Aquamaholic on May 29th, 2010, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Ruined Fishing trip...

Post by onefishtwofish »

sorry your trip was ruined, but glad you could handle it and get back out there.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The bright side. You could have been 5 miles from the ramp when she went on the blink, instead of still close to the ramp. :o

salute2
Semper Fi
bman

Post by bman »

I'm with CSMarine- Could have been a lot worse. That happed to me on the way in from the Bird rack one day with a thunder storm coming.
And I had launched from the fort!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Had the same problem. Boat had sat for 6 months so I'm pretty sure its bad gas. We made the most of the day and putted around to some fishing grounds. It will be going to Fred at parkway this week.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

CSMarine wrote:The bright side. You could have been 5 miles from the ramp when she went on the blink, instead of still close to the ramp. :o

salute2
bman wrote:I'm with CSMarine- Could have been a lot worse. That happed to me on the way in from the Bird rack one day with a thunder storm coming.
And I had launched from the fort!!
Very very true, I was lucky. I debated staying out and limping around, but I knew the thunderstorms would be coming in the afternoon and did not want to chance it.
Tom Keels wrote:Had the same problem. Boat had sat for 6 months so I'm pretty sure its bad gas. We made the most of the day and putted around to some fishing grounds. It will be going to Fred at parkway this week.
I thought mine was fuel related at first, I did all my annual maint. 2 months ago and I have ran the boat for the last 6 weekends in a row without any issues. I am glad mine was a coil, so I don't have to go through the entire fuel system :smt010 looking for probs. My next step was dropping it off with Fred too!

Good luck