live bait

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

live bait

Post by dombern34 »

anyone know where i can find some live bait around the econfina area without having to drive to perry? any information would be greatly appreciated it

thanks
big bend gyrene

Re: live bait

Post by big bend gyrene »

dombern34 wrote:anyone know where i can find some live bait around the econfina area
JR's store had shrimp the last couple of times I went out... but really don't need shrimp if you're going out in a boat. Catch all the pins you need in short order with a small hook tipped with smallest pieces of gulp you can stick on the hook. Get small pins to fish for trout and reds in shallow water (2 to 5 feet depths) and bigger ones for cobia & grouper in deeper water (6 to 10 feet depths).

Can catch them even faster if you tip multiple hooks on a sabiki... I do, but those sabikis make me cuss every time I use them. :lol: If you use them to get pins, just tip the bottom 3 hooks -- rarely get a pin above the third hook. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

big bend gyrene wrote:
dombern34 wrote:anyone know where i can find some live bait around the econfina area
Catch all the pins you need in short order with a small hook tipped with smallest pieces of gulp you can stick on the hook. Get small pins to fish for trout and reds in shallow water (2 to 5 feet depths) and bigger ones for cobia & grouper in deeper water (6 to 10 feet depths).

Can catch them even faster if you tip multiple hooks on a sabiki... I do, but those sabikis make me cuss every time I use them. :lol: If you use them to get pins, just tip the bottom 3 hooks -- rarely get a pin above the third hook. :thumbup:
I agree on the pins. :thumbup: I usually give the g/f an ultralight and let her have at it. She's not much into fishing unless she is catching. Those pins are about the easiest things to catch on the water. Keeps her busy and since we use pieces of gulps she'll even bait her own hook. I'll drop a couple of pins under Cajun Thunders and put them in the rod holders and drift them behind the boat. I'll usually work some gulps from the front. Best of both worlds.

Good luck!!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Amen to the pins and the sabiki. I had mine floating behind the boat last year and dang near lost my rod when a jacked up Ladyfish grabbed the tiny sabiki jigs. (oh yeah, trout like cut ladyfish too!) We were using the cut ladyfish for shark fishing and caught nearly as many trout.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Good info. I am going to try a sabiki tomorrow. I've seen them in stores but didn't know what they were for and how to use them.
The Back Porch
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

just be prepared to say a lot of dirty words at the sabiki rig. super super light and it'll twist up and hook your clothes, wrap your rod, then twist and knot up faster than 6lb powerpro on a walmart rod. ;alkjd fa;lkjdf ;alkf stupid things.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I guess like has been said, you can catch your own.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"