Rod question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Rod question

Post by WolfeMan »

I ordered a BPS Inshore 7" Casting rod, and upon arrival I had a question.

Online it showed as "M" action. Perfect, I thought.

It showed up yesterday and I examined it more closely. It's rated as 9-12 LB line, and up to 1/2 oz lure weight...how much deference do you give to the "lure weight" rating of a rod? It seems more "flexi" than I am used to...I have always preferred medium-heavy action - that's what I have on my two spinners.

I've recently been enlightened to the fact that lighter rods help lose less fish in some cases (topwater, jerk baits, etc) by letting the bait not get jerked clean from the fish's mouth...more give, I understand.

This "1/2 oz" rated rod...is it bad to sling a Pop-A-Dog or a Super Spook on a rod like this? Where do these lure-weight-ratings come from?

I fully admit to being one of those guys who loves fishing, but has not had a lifetime of studying the equipment to know the intricacies and I am building my adult reel collection. I appreciate your input.

Take care,

B
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod question

Post by fishinfool »

I have used a lot of different rods of different actions for topwater and jigs. I prefer a med hvy with a fast action for topwater "walk the dog" retrieves. It allows me to work the bait easier and I don't get worn out as fast. I do, however, have to remember to hesitate for a half second before setting the hook. I have on occasion pulled a plug away from some sizable Reds.
FF
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The m may stand for moderate not medium. I'm certainly no expert, but accidentally bought a custom rod with medium "power" but moderate action. I believe it has to do with where the rod bends. Fast action bends more near the tip and mod action bends towards the middle of the blank. I personally like mine for topwater plugs as I have a tendancy to get overzelous with my hookset. I also use braided line ( a big no no to some topwater "experts"), and the extra flex makes me less likely to pull the plug out of the mouth. I think you'll be fine with the line/ lure rating throwing a big topwater plug. I have a similarly rated rod( but with fast action) that works great for skitterwalks and topdogs. Good luck hope this helps.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

fishinfool wrote:I have used a lot of different rods of different actions for topwater and jigs. I prefer a med hvy with a fast action for topwater "walk the dog" retrieves. It allows me to work the bait easier and I don't get worn out as fast. I do, however, have to remember to hesitate for a half second before setting the hook. I have on occasion pulled a plug away from some sizable Reds.
FF
+1,
I use a Med. Heavy with a Fast action for my dedicated Topwater rod.I had a really hard time actually "walking the Dog" until I got this setup.

Bagataway,

"Where do these lure-weight-ratings come from?"
Usually when you buy a lure, gold spoon or even jig heads their weight is listed on the package. I don't know what sizes/weights are available for the lures you mentioned, but I know you can get a Super Spook Jr. that is probably pretty close to 1/2 oz. (hopefully I understood your question right)

Some rods I have noticed don't tell you the power and action. This may be the case with yours, but it sounds like a Med.(power)/ Med (action) .

That is pretty much the set up I use for Throwing Jigs and poping corks.

It should be a little more flexible than your Med.Heavy rods. I would say just try fishing it a few different ways, you will find out where it fits in with your fishing style. It should be a good all round rod. :thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

And to add to the confusion, there is no set standard for rod power and action, so there is considerable difference among manufacturers. :smt017
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

For me, it's more difficult to cast a heavy bait and control it with a moderate (soft) action. The rod doesn't push the bait as well as a fast action. But then I prefer a medium fast action for everything.
What was I supposed to do today?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Yeah, I am definitely in the "prefer stiffer rods" camp. I will use this for top water for a while and see how it goes.

Never know, might end up in the classified section in a couple months!

I know...I'll let Bman test it out, if he likes, it must be good. ;)

Post by bman »

I'd be glad to test it out for you :lol:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"