Shell Point/St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jjewell99

Shell Point/St Marks

Post by jjewell99 »

I usually make a trip to Steinhatchee, but since Scallop season opened early im not going to brave the crowds and crazies it brings down there. How is the fishing at Shell Point and st marks compared to steinhatchee. I have heard it is pretty dangerous with all the rocks and bars. Are there a lot of scallopers there too, compared to Steinhatchee?
Thanks For any help or advice
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Shell Point/St Marks

Post by onefishtwofish »

Nothing could be worse for scallopers than Steinhatchee. I rarely scallop at St Marks, I head further west. I have not been there much lately, so I will wait for someone to pipe up if they have seen any there. Stay in the channel at St marks and you are fine until you get out to the flats. Just don't go too far east to the rock garden (aptly named).
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

Thanks
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

There will likely be lots of scallopers at St Marks. Don't let the "rock garden" scare you. You should have no troubles as long as you do your running near the stake line and ease around in the shallow stuff.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

We you mention the stake line, are you referring to the white St. Mark's Refuge markers?
The Back Porch
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

tallykenj wrote:We you mention the stake line, are you referring to the white St. Mark's Refuge markers?
Yep. There used to be wooden "stakes" out there. Everyone generally refers to it as the stakeline.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

I havenever been to this part of the gulf. When you refer to rock garden, what does it show up on a map as. I cant seem to find anything called rock garden. Is it the area north of bald point? West of Shell point.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

jjewell99 wrote:I havenever been to this part of the gulf. When you refer to rock garden, what does it show up on a map as. I cant seem to find anything called rock garden. Is it the area north of bald point? West of Shell point.
Just look for broken skegs in the shallow water, partially exposed sunken boats, and crippled vessels limping back in. You see these signs you are in the Rock Garden area. :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

jjewell99 wrote:I havenever been to this part of the gulf. When you refer to rock garden, what does it show up on a map as. I cant seem to find anything called rock garden. Is it the area north of bald point? West of Shell point.
I'ts east of St. Marks. Just like the Bermuda Triangle is not on the map.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

jjewell99 check out this link, it will show you all the areas including the rock garden. http://www.jerrysbait.com/LocalCharts.aspx
The area on Map C with the square drawn around items 5,6, and 7 is basically the rock garden. There are also many dangerous rocks east of that area.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I did this up real quick :-D basicly, any place you see RED, there are ROCKS :o and that aint all of em :smt004 :beer:

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Wevans I find it hysterical you typed google into your Yahoo search bar. :smt005 :smt005
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I can't help it, I'm a YAHOOer :smt004 :-D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Draw a line from Black Rock to Grey Mare Rock. From the grass line out to that line is the Rock Garden. On a winter low tide it will scare the doo doo out of you to see all the rocks that are exposed. There are lots of fish in there though. It is one of JT's prime holes, so don't let him catch you fishin in there without permission. With a shallow draft boat and an average tide you should be able to navigate through there without any trouble.
FF