Pinfish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Pinfish?

Post by tallykenj »

I hear a lot of talk about pinfish. I have had good luck with them on the few occasions I've used them. I'm thinking about getting a pinfish trap and putting it out the evening before the big day. Will I have much luck with it? I wonder if the crab trap guys will steal it. How those Sabiki lures? What's the trick?
The Back Porch
big bend gyrene

Re: Pinfish?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Sabikis work great for pins as long as you tip them with the smallest pieces of gulp you can fit on the hooks. Never used a trap and always manage to load up the live well with enough pins in an hour or so.

If you go with the sabiki rigs, depending on what size pins you want you might want to target different depths. This time of year we're getting little pins (great for trout and reds) in waters 6' and under and considerably bigger pins in water 7' to 10' deep. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Traps must be where the bait is save your used gulp it will get them in there they do get stolen.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

If you're using your trap and leaving it for 12-24 hours, you should't have any problems. I am pretty sure the commercial guys can only use and take certain color buoys. Each color representing a different operator.
willfish
Site Sponsor

Post by willfish »

I've done the pinfish route, traps and castnets. I'm too old and lazy for that now, I want to hit the water and get going. I use shinners. Yep fresh water shinners. They work fine, live about 10- 15 min in the water, easy to keep alive and they get eaten which is the most important thing.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

If you don't think the commercial crabbers won't take your trap, just let it out over night.

They don't want private traps near theirs. I have had several stolen.
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660