Dead Rise

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Doublehooks

Dead Rise

Post by Doublehooks »

I am trying to decide between two boats, Key West 216 Bay Reef and Cobia 211 Bay. Most of the specifications are close and I can evaluate all but dead rise. I fish between Suwannee and Horse Shoe. There is no boat for all fishing types. I mainly fish inshore. I would be willing to give up extreme "skinny water" fishing to allow going further offshore.

The dead rise is 19 degrees for the Key West and 15 degrees for the Cobia. From what I know about dead rise, the greater the dead rise, 19 vs 15, the smother the ride and the better it taks choppy seas.

Does that make the Key West the better choice?

Thanking you in advance for your input.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

The key west is head and shoulders above the cobia and not just because of the deadrise. Go with the Key West and you won't be disapointed.

What power are you looking at for the key west? Whichever boat you get, be sure to get trim tabs. The make a bad boat tolerable and a good boat great. With the key west you'll have no problem fishing offshore in 2-3's comfortably and still be able to fish in 18" of water on the flats.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Your correct in your thinking....It a good rule of thumb to follow, though there are many other things to think about. Weight, freeboard, gunnels, floatation, splashwell..Both look good Keywest drafts an inch more, but draft is a magical number, is it taken on plane, sitting still, fully loaded or not, you never know....Cobia looks goods, both will probably fit the bill for you.....Good luck :thumbup:
Doublehooks

Dead Rise

Post by Doublehooks »

I am still looking at that. It will most likely be either a 150 or 200 hp Yamaha, 4 stroke.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Doublehooks
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If I was getting a Yamaha I would get the 200 HPDI. But if I had the money to go buy the boat tomorrow, I'd get the 200 Evinrude Ficht. I think the 4 strokes are not the best motors for flats/bay boats. Still like the 2 strokes. More midrange power where you want it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder