Loomis Crosscurrent 12wt 3pc Review

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

NoleFear

Loomis Crosscurrent 12wt 3pc Review

Post by NoleFear »

I broke one of my TFO Ticrx’s on a tarpon a couple of weeks ago, totally my fault as I was solo and had her close to the boat with the leader in the guides applying major heat when she made her final surge and snap. It usually takes them about 10 to 12 days on the return and I had a trip planned for this past weekend and did not want to be down a rod. As luck would have it I had to take a business trip to Orlando last week and swung by Bass Pro to pick another one up. While there I decided to compare several rods and settled on the Crosscurrent as I felt comfortable with the feel and price. It cast like a broomstick at the store with the line they had setup on it (I think it may have been a 9wt line by the feel of it). Cosmetically I would have to give it a 6 out of 10 when compared to similar rods in the price range. The reel seat is not that great and the wraps have some small gaps in them but overall no big deal. Slapped on my reel loaded with Orvis 12wt wonderline and took it out for a test drive on Sunday. Greeted by a good 15kt wind I stripped off about 50 feet of line and shot it all with one cast directly into the wind with probably the tightest loop I’ve ever thrown. All the cast I made produced the same results. I was able to pickup and carry about 20-30 more feet of line than I can with my TFO’s. This thing almost cast itself and for my casting style this rod rocks. I didn’t get to test it out on any fish so I can’t speak to its fighting ability but I’m sold and may have to go test out their high end GLX model. I may have some rods for sale in the coming weeks :-D
Chalk

Re: Loomis Crosscurrent 12wt 3pc Review

Post by Chalk »

I'll take some of the TFO leftovers :-D ....sounds like a sweet rod...I need to get out there...honey do's and devil ball has my attention at the moment :roll:
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

Let me know when you want to go. I've had their number lately.
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

I bought the 1pc cc about 2 yrs ago and thru some horse trading with Ramone ended up with the 3pc cc also. I love them both. The 3 pc is a little easier to cast up close and feels really light. THe 1 pc feels and casts stiffer.

How bout pm me the secret fly....cause they not payin mine any attention this year lol
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

hmaadd29 wrote:I bought the 1pc cc about 2 yrs ago and thru some horse trading with Ramone ended up with the 3pc cc also. I love them both. The 3 pc is a little easier to cast up close and feels really light. THe 1 pc feels and casts stiffer.

How bout pm me the secret fly....cause they not payin mine any attention this year lol
PM sent.... That fly should work for you ;-)
marklawr

Post by marklawr »

Noles, do you ever check out Kevin's in Tallahassee?? They sell Loomis and TFO rods, and might even beat Bass Ho's price....
BTW, those 3 piece crosscurrent rods are money!
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

I fished all day with a guides Crosscurrent 1 pc 12wt, nice rod :thumbup: thinking about getting a backup
Get your mind right