1st time at Carrabelle and Dog Island

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

1st time at Carrabelle and Dog Island

Post by tallykenj »

In prep for the upcoming tourney, I went to Carrabelle today. I've never fished the area or launched a boat there. I checked out the city ramp. It's a nice area. However, parking seems like it would be an issue when it's busy. I'm wondering about what other ramps are in the area and which ones have the best parking arrangments.

I went to Dog Island. It was very nice. My daughters had a great time at the western end along the bayside. They caught about 40 crabs by running around with a net. It was a funny site and amazingly productive. We managed to keep about 40, which didn't have eggs.

I tried fishing from the shore. No luck with Gulp or a spoon. I wasn't expecting anything considering it was mid-afternoon and the water was 91 degrees. Considering I mainly fish St. Marks, it was especially nice to not see a bunch of floating grass. It looks like top lures will be an option For the tourney. I was suprised with how deep it gets a short distance from shore.

I thought I was doing a good job paying attention to the weather conditions. At 4:30, the bay was pretty smooth. But an hour later when I began to leave, the wind had picked up and it was very choppy with waves and whitecaps. I was amazed (and concerned as I was in a pontoon boat). I handled the okay. Having the wind at my back helped.

I'm looking forward to fishing the area and learning more about what I can find as well as when and where.
The Back Porch
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Re: 1st time at Carrabelle and Dog Island

Post by Tidedancer »

You may want to look at launching at Lanark (10.00 fee)
bman

Post by bman »

The back side of the island is known for Reds!

The ends are also great fishing-
Dog Island Reef is on the East end is some great trout fishing and right now there a ton of small sharks there that are fun.
The pass between Dog Island and St.George holds everything under the sun as some point in the year.
Beach fishing there is FUN!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

One of the really sweet things about a pontoon boat is that you would have to puncture a pontoon in order to sink it :thumbup: I have stood in water almost waist deep on a pontoon boat "waves washing over" and while scarry as hell, I never worried about sinking :smt004 Get a marine map of the area and you will see many places to fish :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Wevans...........you would have to puncture 2 pontoons to sink it. :roll:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?