St Marks Report - Wed. Aug. 4th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Falcon

St Marks Report - Wed. Aug. 4th

Post by Falcon »

Took the kids this morning (Katie 10 & Todd 8 ). Put the boat in the water at about 7:30, loaded up with 2 doz live shrimp and plenty of squid for catching pins for later.

Ran about 3 miles east into about 4-6 feet of water, helped Katie bait up and as soon as her bait hit the water a 31/2 - 4 ft tarpon takes a gulp within about 5 feet of her bait -- needless to say it caused some excitement but he ignored the large shrimp under her Cajun Thunder. I had just picked up another rod to rig for my son, Todd, when Katie started hollering and in comes the first fish, 14 3/4 in trout. Bait up, back out pick up Todd's rod and ....Here goes Katie again. This went on for 3 more fish before I had to tell her to wait while I finished up with Todd. When I finally did get him a bait in the water - WHAM - and up comes about a 4 lb sail-cat ( I wasn't crazy about that but he wanted to keep him and what the heck, Sails eat pretty good lol!)

Long story short, for two hours, I never wet a hook. I was so busy helping the 2 kids bait, de-hook, advise, that I was almost totally unable to fish! It was GREAT!. When they finally had burned through all the shrimp and the bite settled down on grubs under the CT's, I was able to throw a gold mirrow-lure a bit and wound up with several shorts of my own. Bite finally slowed so we motored back to the light-house canal to get some more pins to try again.

Got back out to some decent looking bottom and out with the pins again - now the small sharks found us and this caused some more excitement. Fished for about 45 mins more then the kids were complaining about being hot and I couldn't blame them. We motored over to the sand-bar at the Bird Rack and everyone had a swim.

We did not have the day the Luc did as we only managed two keepers, but I wouldn't trade my day for his :D ! Kids had a blast, they enjoyed the fish (just got done eating) and are ready to go back tomorrow (can't but they are ready). Nothing better than a good fish catching day with the kids - regardless of the fact that all but two were shorts.

Scott Katie and Todd
Last edited by Falcon on August 4th, 2010, 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Report - Wed. Aug. 4th

Post by Jumptrout51 »

What a good day.
You and the kids should join NFGFC at the Carrabelle tournament on Saturday and fish for trout,reds,flounder and the $100 prize fish a SAILCAT.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Jumptrout - Would love to join - and may - but we will be up at Lake Eufala this weekend. Going to the inlaws cabin and spend the weekend pulling the kids around behind the boat.

Ya'll have fun and we will be catching up with you sometime in the near future.

Scott
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Sounds like a successful day, glad you found some fish.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Way to tear them up, Falcon, Katie, and Todd. :smt023
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Great report. Kids and fish...gotta love them both.
The Back Porch
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Falcon wrote:Jumptrout - Would love to join - and may - but we will be up at Lake Eufala this weekend. Going to the inlaws cabin and spend the weekend pulling the kids around behind the boat.

Ya'll have fun and we will be catching up with you sometime in the near future.

Scott
Looks like the kids had a blast. Watch out for them Eufaula gators. Not sure if its still there but there was a great cajun restaurant downtown there.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Wasn't too long ago I was you, and Luc and Jono were the kids. Know just how you feel. Enjoy it while you're still the teacher. Eventually you'll become the guy who buys bait, and then, as Capt. Keiser told me, the beer. Nothing like helping kids learn to fish. Have to admit though, it is even sweeter when they become a little self-sufficient.

Then if you're lucky, they learn to throw a cast-net, find the holes, and post really cool reports.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice work Falcon. Can't beat that.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.