Steinhatchee This Coming Weekend

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Steinhatchee This Coming Weekend

Post by Scott7138 »

Group of us headed to Steinhatchee this coming wekend for a couple of days of fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on where to go? I have a 19 ft Carolina Skiff and will have a couple of newbies on board. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Spent last Sat. on St. Joe Bay with absolutely no luck. A few croaker, small blues and sail cats. Did experience my first scalloping outing and loved it. Very relaxing.
"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" - Dean Wormer - Animal House
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee This Coming Weekend

Post by MudDucker »

Scott7138 wrote:Group of us headed to Steinhatchee this coming wekend for a couple of days of fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on where to go? I have a 19 ft Carolina Skiff and will have a couple of newbies on board. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Spent last Sat. on St. Joe Bay with absolutely no luck. A few croaker, small blues and sail cats. Did experience my first scalloping outing and loved it. Very relaxing.
St. Joe Bay is a tough fishery in the heat. Put in at a local marina and get some local current advise. Fishing patterns change daily. There are good flats on both sides of the river, but also a lot of folks scalloping. Good luck!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Post by Scott7138 »

MudDucker wrote:
St. Joe Bay is a tough fishery in the heat. Put in at a local marina and get some local current advise. Fishing patterns change daily. There are good flats on both sides of the river, but also a lot of folks scalloping. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight. Regardless, it sure beats working
"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" - Dean Wormer - Animal House
bcarver

Post by bcarver »

Re: Steinhatchee....go out the river, turn left and fish off the shore 20-30 yards for reds. Creek mouths can be very productive. Proceed slowly due to rocks and use electric motor if you have one. Fish live bait or gulps under CT float at 2 feet above bait.

Trout will be in 3-4 ft and 8-10 ft depending on time of day. Fish on bottom with gulps or live bait. Live bait may attract sharks or bluefish but you will just have to tolerate them.
blackshear

Post by blackshear »

We have had the best luck by fishing early and late in the day for trout in 8-10 feet of water. Try fishing without the cork and go with a 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig head in red or pink and gulp shrimp in white or new penny. You should also pick up a few black bass in the deeper water and maybe some spanish. When it starts to get hot and the fish stop bitting you should be able to get your limit on scallops. I will be down this weekend giving it a go myself.
Pathfinder 1806
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bcarver wrote: Proceed slowly due to rocks and use electric motor if you have one.
THIS SENTENCE SHOULD BE IN ALL CAPS WITH A FLASHING COLOR. There are a lot of rocks and bars at the mouth of the Steinhatchee, especially if you hang a left. Get a chart and be VERY careful.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!