Short Tarpon Experience

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Short Tarpon Experience

Post by PerryFisherMan »

I was fishing in my yak (14' Wilderness Pamlico) at SGI -bay side. I recently started the practice of 'trolling" when I am moving between stops. I would sometimes pick up a stray trout this way. This time, I was dragging behind my boat a cajun thunder with a gulp jig with three feet of 30# leader, 12# test line. TIde was going out and there was about 3' of water left. I was paddling slow, and reaching back every so while, grab the line and give it a yank or two to make the CT rattle. All of a sudden it sounded like someone dropped a refrigerator behind me. Ka-blam-blam! :o I looked at my rod and it was half bent over, grabbed it immediately, turned and saw behind me a large swirl/churned up place in the water. I had no idea what was going on. Then this tarpon (6' long I estimate) jumped out of the water. It was beautiful, purple blue head, silver sides..etc. I yelled to my one of my sons ,"I got a tarpon!). He thought it was the same size as I did (before we talked). Well, it jumped all the way out of the water, and started moving/jumping about the distance the CT was behind the boat to my right so I could see it real good. It never stopped jumping, sometimes only halfway out of the water, shaking his head. It was just going crazy (they must have sensitive mouths?). But, I have a paddle (not like the hobie) and couldnt't move my boat to catch up with it at the speed it was going. All I could do was hold my rod, listen to the drag scream and as tore away so fast....I watched my line leave the reel at an incredible pace until the drag suddenly went quiet....then about two seconds later and "pop". Spooled. It was probably only 20-30 seconds or so, but was really cool. I could have put my head in it's mouth it was so big. Anyway, it was a good fish tale. My Shimano 2500 on 12# mono was no match for a fish like that.

I had caught a 26# red just prior to that, and that was a good fight. The tarpon may as well have been a truck pulling away from me.

If anyone catches a tarpon with a lime green CT, it was probably 'mine' for 20-30 seconds.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Short Tarpon Experience

Post by silverking »

PFM,
You're supposed to put the rod butt in your teeth and paddle like mad!

Seriously, you were definitely outgunned without mobility, but there are a couple tricks to use to even the odds and prolong the fight. Tarpon have very hard mouths, so a few jabs to set the hook help, although with that light of line the stretch may have negated that. When a tarpon jumps, hold your rod and thrust the tip out towards the fish. This is known as bowing to the king and it often helps prevent the fish from throwing the hook or breaking the leader since you're adding a bit of slack, kinda of like a shock absorber. Do this whenever the fish does go airborne.

To truly have a shot at these monsters, you need heavier gear, like 30# class. It isn't wise to bring a knife to a gun fight :)

But you got the real goodie out of him. Most of us "fin-addicts" enjoy the strike and a few jumps anyway. Nice job and good luck with the next one.
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

Congratulations on the hook up. What a rush! Your story gets my blood flowing. Sorry he took all your line. I hope you had a spare rod! Thanks for sharing!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Very Nice :thumbup: I fought a cobia from my kayak for like 20-30 seconds last year with similar results (broken leader). The kayak tarpon has got to be the most intense fight ever!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

just tighten her down and hold on

nice report
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Too bad you weren't positioned to get pulled around for a couple of miles. :-?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Cool story. Like Silverking said, even the first jumps are enough for us poon junkies :thumbup: :thumbup: