Where are the grouper????

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Carlabear

Where are the grouper????

Post by Carlabear »

Hey everyone,
I have been enjoying all the posts this summer. Have been landlocked all summer and havent been to Econfina since early June. Does any one have any new infomation about grouper close in say 30 to 40 feet. Last time we went out we were in 70 feet catching grouper and snapper but only a few then. HELP!!!! Any infomatin will be appreciated! :D Thanks Carlabear
Carlabear

Re: Where are the grouper????

Post by Carlabear »

THEY ARE IN MY FREEZER!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Carlabear wrote:THEY ARE IN MY FREEZER!
:thumbup: Nice, where'd you get em? Depth? Bottom? Bait? I've been hearing a lot of reports of nothing but short grouper lately.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

I went yesterday to 30 feet out of st. marks and we caught a lot of short gags and had one keeper. I do not believe they have moved in yet. Water temp was 78 in the afternoon wait until it hits 65 to 70.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I'm with KneeKnocker, I don't believe they have moved close in yet. I fished off Alligator Point and Ochlockonee Bay Friday and Saturday in 38 - 45 foot of water and caught mostly shorts. Probably caught over 20 fish in the two days, with only two keepers. Wish I had more keepers, but that was only the second time in over a year that I got out on the water two days in a row, so I was happy anyway. Plus the seas were great........
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
jhults7

Post by jhults7 »

Yeah, i fished out if st. marks saturday and caught 35-40 short reds and gags in 30ft with only 1 keeper caught trolling. We fished as shallow as 18ft and only caught grunts and sea bass on rocks that we pulled limits off of last november...wait till the 2nd week of november for that 68 degree water temperature....they will move in like gangbusters and then we gotta fish for them like crazy cause u can only get them till dec 31...then we are screwed till june 2011...mabey longer.....
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I love how this topic comes up every year about this time.

Grouper do not migrate. They are in the same general areas year round. They might move between spots within a mile or so but that is it. The reason you catch them sometimes and not others are many but it mainly becomes about food. There is still abundant food for them to eat in the form of bait schools and small hatchling fish. Once the water cools down more significantly, the bait schools will be gone and they will start looking for lots and bigger meals to fatten up for winter.

Since the food gets more scarce, they start competing for food and start actively hunting in packs. I can't tell you the number of schools of grouper I've had chasing a trolling lure trying to take it away from the hooked fish.

I say be patient folks. Watch the water surface temps and when they get to 70 or below, it's on. The end of this month should start it off with a bang.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I'm patient, waiting on them to come in from the deep! I'll be ready..
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

The key is having a boat captain that put you precisely on the spot. If you don't bump him in the head with it after it gets cold, he ain't chasing it.
You just can't fix stupid.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

PinFishKing wrote:The key is having a boat captain that put you precisely on the spot. If you don't bump him in the head with it after it gets cold, he ain't chasing it.
I find it easier to put it to his head and pull the trigger.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Tom Keels wrote:I love how this topic comes up every year about this time.

Grouper do not migrate. They are in the same general areas year round. They might move between spots within a mile or so but that is it.
Confused just a bit, Tom... a mile or two only?

Granted, I've caught the occasional summer keeper grouper in 25 feet, but only true babies in 10-15 feet out of Econfina and there's more than a mile or so that separates the 15' difference in depth... at least out of Ecky. So "migrate" might be the wrong word, but you're not telling me that 30' grouper hang out super-shallow all year round, are you? Just wanting to be sure! :wink: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

What's a mile or 2 among friends AND grouper?
Don't get so picky guys.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

big bend gyrene wrote:
Tom Keels wrote:I love how this topic comes up every year about this time.

Grouper do not migrate. They are in the same general areas year round. They might move between spots within a mile or so but that is it.
Confused just a bit, Tom... a mile or two only?

Granted, I've caught the occasional summer keeper grouper in 25 feet, but only true babies in 10-15 feet out of Econfina and there's more than a mile or so that separates the 15' difference in depth... at least out of Ecky. So "migrate" might be the wrong word, but you're not telling me that 30' grouper hang out super-shallow all year round, are you? Just wanting to be sure! :wink: :beer:

I use the word migrate like folks talking about grouper do. "You got to go to 80-100 feet to get them grouper" "They haven't moved from deep water yet" Are the two quotes I hear every year. My statement is still the same.
They are in the same general areas year round
In 1 square mile in our area there are tens to potentially hundreds of spots for fish to live. So maybe a better statement would be "They don't leave their neighborhood".
but only true babies in 10-15 feet out of Econfina
The largest grouper ever brought over the gunnels in our boat was from 16 feet deep. That same area has produced many a keeper. I know of 3 spots that I have free dove in 8-10 feet and killed keeper grouper with my speargun.

A couple of years ago my buddy shot a big grouper in the meat and the fish got off. Nearly 6 months later I killed that fish with the wound all healed. Same spot, hadn't moved 10 feet down the ledge.

You guys need to get in the water and you will see what I'm talking about. You would be amazed at what stuff lives where.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

*** BIG SHARKS ***
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Tom,
I'm curious about your diving and sharks around here. I used to free dive the St. Marks reef but after pulling in several good size tiger sharks I'm really hesitant to get back in the water. So how do you mitigate the risk of sharks? Have you had any run ins? Do you just keep an eye out and leave when they show up. I'd hate to be down looking through some rocks and have one of those suckers creep up behind me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.