New Kayak Wilderness Systems Commander 140

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

New Kayak Wilderness Systems Commander 140

Post by jsuber »

Hello everyone. My name is Jeff Suber and I am on the Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Team. I just picked up this new Commander 140 and wanted to share the pics with everyone that might be interested. Its designed to make it easier to stand and site cast to fish. It has a seat down low, and you can push it under the top of the kayak, and sit on top of the yak and paddle. From there it makes it easy to stand up. Its 14 feet long, and they make a 12 footer too. This one would be great for ducker hunters with the huge storage capacity. Enjoy and let me know if you have any question and if you need a picture of anything on the boat you can't see from here.

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: New Kayak Wilderness Systems Commander 140

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Great looking kayak Jeff Suber. :-D I am looking forward to seeing her in person.
Team Jolly Mon
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

That is pretty cool. Just curious (too broke to seriously consider buying a new yak), it almost looks like it has a flat floor in the stock photo and it's hard to tell in your photos. Does it? If so, that is awesome and I imagine it makes standing up a bit easier.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Looks good. How wide is it?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

red_yakker wrote:That is pretty cool. Just curious (too broke to seriously consider buying a new yak), it almost looks like it has a flat floor in the stock photo and it's hard to tell in your photos. Does it? If so, that is awesome and I imagine it makes standing up a bit easier.
Nevermind. When I look closer at the website photos, I can tell the floor is not flat. But at least it doesn't have the hump in-between where your legs go that makes it so hard to stand in my kayak.
MudDucker wrote:Looks good. How wide is it?
The website says 30.5". The more I look at it, the more I like it.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
coastal cracker
Site Sponsor

Post by coastal cracker »

Jeff,

Looking at your pics and the wilderness site, it looks like there are no scuppers. The site mentioned a drain plug. Is the space under the raised/molded in seat open to slide stuff under it? Are the sides high enough to keep small waves/chop out of the boat? Looks like a canoe/kayak hybrid. Maybe comparable to an ultimate? The site also mentioned use in "open water" as a benefit. Let us know how it performs when it gets choppy. I have a kayak and a canoe and have been thinking of something "in between" a hybrid of sorts.

thanks for the info,

Paul
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Shouldn't this be in the for sale section?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

The yak has a top rail all the way around the yak and therefore the plug is on the back of the yak by the rudder on top. You flip the kayak over and drain the extra water off the rail. However, I just tip my kayak to the stern and scoop out any water with a cut up gatorade bottle. Its bottom is not flat, but beveled to help keep you from flipping over while standing. It also helps you top go in really shallow water, 4".
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Barhopr wrote:Shouldn't this be in the for sale section?
Nope, its a review.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

oh, I see. kinda like an ad in a mag with some celebs picture endorsing a product. viral marketing..I get it. maybe should be a new category: paid endorsements.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

How does it paddle compared to a tarpon? Compared to a canoe?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc