Alligator Point Sailfish

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point Sailfish

Post by Scoop Sea »

Yesterday morning I ran out from Mashes Sands to try my luck at catching a few grouper before the FSU game (I'm glad I came back for that @#$^ :smt011 ). Although I only caught shorts, 2 huge nurse sharks, and a very large cuda, I did catch several nice spanish on my run out and I found a new hole that I believe will pay dividends in the future. On the run back in the water was like glass and I noticed a black fin working its way back and forth. I eased over to the area thinking that it must be a shark, however, as I got closer the fin grew in length and height. It turned out to be a very good sized sailfish that was working some bait on top. I was fortunate enough to get to watch it work on for several minutes. I didn't really have anything to offer it that I could think of, so I trolled by it with a stretch 30 and cd-18 hoping it would take an interest but it didn't. The sailfish stayed up long enough for me to make three passes before it finally eased on under and out of site. At one point, I was no more than 45 yards from it. I broke out my Blackberry and shot some video of it working, as well as a picture. When I got home to show my wife the video, for some reason it would not display :thumbdown: :thumbdown: However, the picture I took did show up. She and I caught a lot of sailfish in Mexico on our honeymoon and this sailfish was equal in size to any of those we caught. I am not totally sure how far off-shore from Alligator Point I was (guessing 6-8 miles due south), but in the background of the picture you can see land and my GPS showed me being 10.2 miles SW of the boat ramp at Mashes Sands. Very cool day right up until about the FSU game........
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
AQUAHOLIC

Re: Alligator Point Sailfish

Post by AQUAHOLIC »

ur rite that game sucked but thats pretty cool you seen a sailfish in this area to bad he wouldn't take the stretch 30 that would have been a pretty good ride
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Where's the pic that did show up?! :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Guys sorry for the delay on a response, I spent the week back working on the oil spill and didn't have time to check the thread.

Yeah, it would have been great hooking up with the sailfish with the Stretch, but he wasn't having any of it.

BBG: The picture is on my Blackberry. I'm not sure how to download a pic from my BBerry on to the site. Anybody have any ideas?
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
bman

Post by bman »

Text it to me and I'll upload it for you.
850-491-3600
B
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I think it was about 6-7 years ago a guy from Bainbridge, Woody War I think, landed one draging a cigar minnow while king fishing on the bouy line in PSJ. Weird things happen.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I saw one hooked on the pier in PC years ago. Saw another just off the beach balling bait the same summer.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Tammy and Bob Derwick (Fineline Studio Glass) caught one off Dog over the Labor Day w/e. It ate a pilchard, I believe. Bob said it was in 45 feet of water.

There are probably a lot more sailfish out there than we realize. That and I'm sure the big pelagics have moved away from the oil that isn't there anymore :wink:
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

we were out of st. marks in about 25' of water in the early-to-middle part of the summer and saw what looked like a juvenile sail launch out of the water quite a bit ways away. the long body and exposed sail was an almost dead give-a-way.

It was quite exciting.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image