Flat bottom carolina skiff owners?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Flat bottom carolina skiff owners?

Post by Redbelly »

Would you buy one again? For the local waters how do you rate your satidfaction overall? Ride, dryness, function?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Flat bottom carolina skiff owners?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I had a similar Sundance skiff. It was a great boat on 2-4' days or less. It is drier riding than the Carolina. Very good on fuel. I would still have it if i could get my wife in it.(she wanted a bigger boat) It was a 16'. :-D
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Ridden in quite a few but never owned one.
I'd probably do like we all do with our boats and live with the compromise.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

NO!
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We own a 198DLV Carolina Skiff and love it. That being said it is the first boat this large we've ever had. It's much better than our 14 ft Gheenoe. Yes, it can be a wet ride if the waves are right. For the money and possibly our ignorance we are happy!

I've never had a boat that was good for every situation.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I've never owned one, but fished in several. The larger ones (20+ feet) give a pretty decent ride without getting you too wet very often. The smaller ones will get you wet and ride pretty rough, but they'll also get you way back up the creeks where "dryer riding" boats normally can't get.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

You may want to look at the newer JVX model. It has a semi V hull that rides better in choppy water. I had a 198 DLV and bought the JVX when they came out a few years ago. I can still get into areas the DLV would and it has a much drier ride.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

I've gotta 1965-semi-v with a 70yamaha 2 stroke that rides good in a chop, but it will get you WET! Gets very shallow.I would buy it again. Easy to clean, simple and well built boat. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

We fish out of a 16' Carolina Skiff. Some days you WILL have a wet arse.. But over all i think its a great little boat. Very light and easy to pole! Can get way up in the shallow waters with it. I give it a thumbs up. :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
AQUAHOLIC

Post by AQUAHOLIC »

I have a j16 and wouldn't trade it for any other flats boat might get you a little moist on a rough day but its a good boat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I had a 19' Semi Vee. It is gonna get you wet. Just no way around it. I learned how to quarter and find the right speed for the day, but I always got wet with even a moderate chop. If the wind is blowin, you are gonna get wet. With that being said, it is a great "do-all" platform-very affordable and easy to customize. It'll do everything and go skinny too. Good all around boat, but I am happier with my Ranger Cayman. It has it's limitations too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Been fishing my Panga since 2005 but before that did the bulk of my fishing out of a J16 my buddy Sharkman owned. Pretty much what everybody else is saying... get a bit of chop and it made for a rough & wet ride, but got to say that it was an absolute inshore fishing machine. Caught a ton of trout and reds from it. For anyone sticking strictly inshore, it's a fine boat. Would not get it if I wanted to mix midshore/offshore runs in, though, as too many times I've been out on flat water mornings only to make rough rides back in.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

You have rode in my 2380 more than once. What did you think? (of the boat not the operator)
I have just put on a jack plate and am ready for the fall and to check it out how that will help.
My boat got a bunch drier after I got some driving lessons about how to distrubute weight.
The effect is like having trim tabs. I lift the side thats facing the wind it helps.
I also don't hit the waves head on any more, I also shifted weight back by moving my batteries to the back.
No more 120 coolers up front, most of the wet was me being stupid. It's not dry but it is so much better.
If you will drive according to conditions the boat is almost as dry as many you just have to slow down.
I went out the pass from Destin and had to surf her in on some towering rollers.
The boat handles more than my nerves can for sure. I would consider metal where we fish if I had it to do again.
For what I have in the boat I still think it is a great value for the money very roomy haul up to 6 + gear.
Easy to clean cheap keep up and I don't worry about scrapes or scratches she ain't purdy but she's paid for.
I saw one on line that the operator stood up on the back deck and the controls were higher I thought that was cool.
I also just saw a tower with a three person bech seat & controls got me thinking I know the height would help.
Last edited by What a mess on September 19th, 2010, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
bman

Post by bman »

Ive got a J16 that I have not fished out of much this year- but I dont want to sell it either.
I can get SHALLOW, and it takes almost no fuel.

Wet? Yes :-D Sink? NO :thumbup:
For four or five grand there is not a better boat out there.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
OG

Post by OG »

I've got a 24' Semi V that I would buy again in a hearbeat. Everything with a boat is a compromise...but this is by far the most versitle boat I've owned for the things I do. As an example, here is a typical weekend for the Reel Crazy.
-Fri Night Flounder Giggin in Oyster Bay
-Sat Morning catching Grouper in 80+ feet of water
-Sun pm Pulling tubes and skiiers on the river with 10 folks loaded in it.

I looked for a long time before pulling the trigger on this one, but would do it again tomorrow.