St. George 2-09-02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Well the sheepshead got the better of us! We had about 90 crawfish and only ended up with two sheeps, man they can nibble you right out of house and home. After loosing 40 or so crawfish we switched to no. 5 bream hooks, and despite thinking, it wouldn't work that's how we finally got the only two. At least they're good size. The beach was also good and the whiting are a lot easier to catch. I had forgotten they give a pretty good fight for such small fish. Everbody with us (about 10 in all) got to pull in as many whiting as they wanted. We kept about 20 of the better size ones.

I do have one question for you though...

Sand fleas??? we found a bunch of them by digging in the sand, but I have no idea what to do with them. How do you hook em? Are they only good in the summer? Are they any good for fishing the the oyster bars/ off the beach?
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

The whiting will probably take them now, as well as in summer. Hook them by piercing the mid point of the body part on the bottom of the crab that kind of looks like a knife, and passing through to the other side (top).

If you get a bunch worth saving, you can par boil them at home for maybe 15 seconds (they will turn red), and freeze them in a zip lock for the spring pompano run. Sometimes they are really hard to find and the frozen ones work pretty well.

EJ
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I don't know anything about fishing for whiting. I need some pointers.
Old Dog
Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

OD, I generally only fish for whiting when I'm staying at the beach and it's too rough to get out in the boat. I use a 10 lb spinning outfit, carolina rig about 2 ft of 10 lb leader with a small gold hook. Use enough lead to keep the wave action from dragging it down the beach, up to 2 oz if the surf is really pounding. I use about 1/3 of a fresh shrimp, put the rod in a 4 foot piece of pvc stuck in the sand, reel up the slack, sit in a chair and wait. You can fish 2 or 3 rods at the same time if the current isn't too strong. I only use fresh shrimp, the frozen bait shrimp seems to attract mostly catfish. Whiting aren't very glamorous fish, but they're pretty good if cooked fresh. Most importantly, it's a great way to get kids interested in fishing.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Just what I was looking for. Thanks Sawbones.
OD
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

OD,
Ilike your new sig.
Is that a portrait? LOL
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Hey OD, I would also target the higher points of the tide. That's when they're most likely to be infront of the first sand bar.

Eddiejoe, the ones we found were a little big for the whiting. Do you need to keep the flea moving to keep it from digging back down into the sand? Thanks if I get out there again before spring I am gonna boil/freeze and save em :smile:
At the Green Hotel--FZ
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Dewya, no, that's not my portrait, I don't look that good! :eek:
I don't think I've ever caught a whiting. I've caught everything else that swims down there, but not one of them, unless I was calling it something else.
OD
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

OD,
Had a pitbull named Hank great companion and very intelligent. He got along great with people,even kids, but he did NOT like other dogs in his territory.

Whiting are very plentiful anywhere there is moving water. When I was a teenager my uncle had a place at Fernandina. We would go to the St, Mary's inlet and catch them like it was shellcracker bed. That was my first try at sheepshead off the jetties. I was no good at it, but my aunt would hardly ever loose a fiddler.
The whiting are great table fare especially when you get no dinner until the boat is cleaned up.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Hey Jepjones,

Ya'll catch them mudbugs yourself or are you buying them? Never tried them for sheepies, but am game. Also heard that red wigglers will work too but never tried. Just started using oysters this year and they seem to work very well if you can keep them on the hook. Were you fishing the bridge(s) or the cut for the sheepshead?
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Yeah you can buy em from this place off hwy 90. I can't remember the name of the road, but it goes between hwys 90 & 20. The place is immediately to your right off of 90 before the railroad tracks. It's a dark green colored house and a small pond right next to it. If the gates are closed he's gone fishing. Sorry I don't know the name of the road.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Thanks- Sounds like the Bait Emporium on Geddie Rd.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Phisnfool,

Uhmmm to my knowledge the only thing the guy sells are crawfish. He also does wood carvings... big ones.:???: He just recently started selling them again I think. He stoped for about a year, but now he's back.
Geddy road might be it, is there a big industrial plant on the hwy 20 end?

Like a power plant or something.
At the Green Hotel--FZ
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Jepjones-

Dunno,,never approached it from HWY 20 actually haven't been there in years. I vaugely remember he had some unusual taxidermy work inside..rattlesnake's and such. We used to stop there and pick up mudbugs when the white bass were running in the Ochlockonee River. Probably the same place, I do remember there being a small pond in front. Tried calling today but no answer :cry:

Never did say where ya caught the sheepies,, were u fishing the bridges, cut, in a boat?
Which Zappa album/song is that quote in your signature from? 200 Motels?? can't figure it out yet :???:
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Phisnfool,

yeah I think you got the place. We tied up directly to the metal structure on either side. It seems like if you weren't fishing striaght up and down under the boat it was alot easier for them to pick you. I think it was just harder to feel them hit :roll: Also the more I think of it, I think you could have the hook point coming out of the bottom soft side of the mudbug, but keep the point just barely hid. I could swear they could see that hook, so try to hide it best you could. Of course I didn't get a whole mess of em so :mad:
That FZ quote is the actual name of the song on the Cheap Thrills album. There's a funny interview that references the Led Zeplin mudshark incident right before the song.

With the cold those sheeps should still be stacked up there, and somebody owes em revenge for me
At the Green Hotel--FZ