Rule #1

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Rule #1

Post by Barhopr »

Don't paddle any further out than you can swim back.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 0101017005
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Rule #1

Post by red_yakker »

That is extremely sad, but something we need to keep in mind. I was paddling about 1.5 miles out a while back, alone, when my shoulder cramped up. It hurt so bad, there was nothing I could do. No cell-phone, no radio, no anchor and since it was a weekday, no one else in sight. Luckily for me, the wind was blowing in my favor, and I was able to steer myself back towards the landing. I don't know how I would have gotten back in had the wind been blowing out of the east.

Now, at the very least, I always have my phone, an anchor and a stakeout pole with me, so if worst comes to worst, I can just hold still and wait for someone to find me. Kayaking alone can be dangerous, but kayaking alone offshore is just reckless.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Sad news for sure. I wonder if he has kids? My son has really kept me grounded from doing dangerous things that I never saw a problem with before he came along.
Team Jolly Mon
cotton

Post by cotton »

On windy days I always try to choose a landing where I can paddle/peddle out into the wind. It sure makes the return trip back much more enjoyable.