Forgotten Coast Boys @ the IFA Kayak Fishing Championship

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

Forgotten Coast Boys @ the IFA Kayak Fishing Championship

Post by Talltails »

My take at least! My brother and best fishing buddy, Liam, and I drove over to Orange Beach Alabama on Thursday morning. We met up with Jeff Suber in Pensacola and did a little prefish session on a shallow grassflat near Doc's house. We caught a couple decent trout, but no reds, so we hightailed it out of there and headed for the Alabama coast. The fishing there is quite different than here. The reds are really tough to target. All sand bottom with very little grass or other structure for me to relate to. Liam and I both found it tough to figure out any type of pattern with the fish over there.
Already having identified a good trout spot, we went looking for reds. We found them in a little cut emptying into the gulf. Huge school of fish that we could easily see and sight fish for, so we quit fishing and went to get a hotel room. As many already know, there's nothing glamorous about a fishing tournament roadtrip
DAY ONE(The tournament is a longest single trout and redfish combined length 2 day format)Liam and I were asked to be followed and microphoned by the camera crew chase boat all day, so the pressure was on. Fishing for trout early, I busted a rediculous 29" trout with a Spook. After a chinese firedrill getting the fish landed and photographed, I followed Liam around until he landed a respectable 21 inch troutImageImage
Next, we moved to spot 2 to catch our redfish for the day. Weather conditions had changed that morning, though, and the now 15 knot east winds had completely blown up our spot making it unfishable. We then loaded our kayaks and hauled ass over to a spot we had caught small reds at last month at an IFA regular season event. Fortunately in a back of a small creek and with time running out on us, we found a couple decent fish and high tailed it back to the day 1 weighinImage
Day one results concluded with me sitting in 3rd place at 52 total inches and Liam in 6th with 44 inches. the wind really made for some tough fishing with only 10 anglers turning in two fish aggregate totals. Suber was in the top 10 as well. The two guys in the lead had both found bull reds and looked unbeatable.
On day 2, Liam and I again fished for trout early. Liam quickly picked up another21 inch fish. This left the pressure on me to find one, and eventually about an hour into the day I was able to again pck up another great fish that went 27 inches.Image
We then went back out to the beach to see if it was fishable for reds. The wind was just as bad and there were 2-3 foot breakers where it had been slick calm 2 days earlier. Liam decided to just teather his kayak to him and wade knee deep into the surf and toss a jighead tipped with a soft plastic bait. REDS! They were still there, we just couldn't see them! Nothing huge, but big enough. We both picked up a few decent fish and then headed back to the final weighin where judgment awaited.
My two day agregate total ended up at 102.5 inches and good enough for 2nd place overall. Liam finished right around 90 inches and 5th place. Suber was around 80 inches and 8th place overall. The winner caught two giant bull reds over 40 inches apiece and won it going away, and I'm left to wonder what could have been if we had been able to fish our redspot under better conditions.
I still won a Hobie Outback Mirage and a nice check for Biggest Trout. Liam finished 1st place for Overall angler of the Year and won a nice paycheck. Congrats to all the winners, and congrats to my fellow Forgotten Coast boys for many good showings at the 2010 IFA Professional Kayak Tournament Trail!Full results are here: http://www.ifakayakfishingtour.com/tour ... _2010.html Image
Chalk

Re: Forgotten Coast Boys @ the IFA Kayak Fishing Championsh

Post by Chalk »

Congrats on a great year and finish :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Congratulations to the 3 of you.
Seems most tournament days around here have been crappy weather for everyone.
Nice trout(s).
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

That's gettin' it done, men! :smt038
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Congrats!!! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice work Jason, Liam and Jeff. Those are some nice trout!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats to all three of you for an impressive showing and year.

Maybe you can buy a motor with your winnings! :-D Just kidding.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

2010 Championship Orange Beach, Al. Event
November 13th, 2010 Final Results

Angler of the Year
Liam Callaghan

Big Trout
Jason Callaghan 29"

Big Red
Kelly Phillips 43"

Two Day Total
1 Phillips Kelly 125.00
2 Callaghan Jason 102.50
3 Walker Timothy 100.88
4 Chapman John 95.00
5 Callaghan Liam 89.63
6 Parrott Benton 88.13
7 Bayard Brendan 82.63
8 Suber Jeff 82.25
9 Barghi Clint 81.75
10 Beltz Blake 78.63
11 Spencer Fil 73.00
12 Williamson Gairi 64.88
13 Holmes Chris 64.50
14 Rinando Vincent 60.50
15 Lee John 46.25
16 Lobb Wayne 38.25
17 MacNaugh Josh 37.00
18 Walker Norman 22.50
19 Gonsoulin Valerie 19.50
20 Jones Barrett 19.00
21 Inge Scott 19.00
22 Broach Jason 18.50
23 Neece Steve 14.00
24 Eady Mike
25 Bulger, Jr. Thomas
26 Lewis Chris
27 Poole Earl
Last edited by jsuber on November 15th, 2010, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Congrats on a great finish. :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU BOYS DID GOOD, CONGRATS.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI :smt006 salute2 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO