Flyfishing rookie

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

camperkilgore

Flyfishing rookie

Post by camperkilgore »

Just discovered this forum a short while ago, and I would like to get into flyfishing.
I've done some regular fishing around here for a long time, but I'm not an old pro by any means. I'm an old retired guy, and my wife and I are planning a trip out west maybe next year. I would like to get a little flyfishing experience under my belt before trying it out there. Of course it will be a lot different fishing out there, but I would think that the basics would be the same, so if I can pick up some pointers from you folks, I would appreciate it.
I can cast fairly well with the cheapo setup from Wal-mart, but I don't know much about fly selection for wintertime trout and redfish. I know I need to enroll in a class of some sort, so if anyone can help me out with info I'd appreciate it.
I might also add that I have a personal pontoon type boat (kickboat) made by North Fork Outdoors (Dave Scadden), and it is a great platform for flyfishing. It's stable and very maneuverable with fins. It probably is a boat that not too many people know about around here. I got it because we pull a fifthwheel and needed a boat that we could carry with us camping. I have a Yamaha 6hp and a trolling motor for it also. Here's a link to the kind I have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAn650Q3XM
I worried a lot about oyster bars cutting the pontoon material, but I've had it all over them without any damage so far, and the guy that makes them guarantees the thing for life(or until he goes out of business, lol)
Thanks for any flyfishing info
Tom
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Flyfishing rookie

Post by Steve Stinson »

Welcome to the forum.
As far as the flyfishing goes, my 8 yr old and I have done a limited amount of it on the flats and in the creeks South of Tallahassee. Generally speaking, I have used brighter colored flies when the water is stained from runoff, and more natural colors when it is clear. What I have found to be more important that color, is the sink rate and weedless abilities of the flies. There are others on this forum more serious about their fly fishing, and better able to answer your questions.

You don't mention where you are living (or camping), but you are welcome to come to an NFGFC meeting on the first Thurs. of any month and meet many of the members here in person. We meet at 7:00 at the Beef O Brady's on Thomasville Rd. in Tally.

My son and I have not done a lot of flyfishing recently, so we moved from tying flies to turning up some topwater plugs on a wood lathe. We are just now painting and installiing the hardware on our first batch.

Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
camperkilgore

Post by camperkilgore »

Thanks Steve,
We live out Wakulla Springs Highway south of Tally, and we camp all over the place. We particularly like Georgia state parks, because they are about the nicest state parks for camping. I'm a little biased in that respect, because I am originally from Moultrie Ga. I've been here in Tallahassee since my discharge from military service in 1972. We also love the Smoky Mountain National Park, and usually spend a few weeks up there every year.......probably more now that my wife has retired last month.

I was thinking that the clear waters of the Wakulla and Wascisa might better prepare me for western waters. It's just a theory.

Thanks for the invite to the meetings. Sorry for my ignorance.....what does NFGFC stand for? I can guess that it is a club maybe.
Tom
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Tom -

NFGFC is North Florida Gulf Fishing Club. Many of the members of this forum are also members of the club. We fish inshore saltwater from Keaton
Beach to St. Joe Bay.

- Steve