Can I use a smaller battery as a backup?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Can I use a smaller battery as a backup?

Post by boomhauer »

I have a 18ft flats boat and have always carried a second battery in the console, as a backup....I don't use livewells or trolling motors. Other that starting the motor, there isn't much draw. The motor is a 2 stroke 115. Can I use a smaller starting battery as a backup to save weight?
RED ZONE 48

Re: Can I use a smaller battery as a backup?

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

Why not get a battery booster thing, it has jumper cables and a charge indicator a handle easy to carry and if your vehicle battery goes you can just jump it same as your boat, I use one for everything. tractor,lawnmower , truck, boat, etc. Cabela's has them so does west marine and even walmart. it's lighter than a battery and you already have jumper cables attached. and best of all it's portable. at Cabelas it's called marine battery starter-up $79.00 .
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sure you can, just be sure it is rated enough amps for the starter on your motor. I had a couple of those battery boosters a couple of years back and was not impressed when I needed them.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

I have a small lawn tractor battery that will start my 30hp four stroke and my mud motor all day.
It makes a great back up.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I had a top notch booster and it was great I used it around the house in the lawnmower cars etc... I also would use it on the boat and in small ponds as a teolling motor battery.
I just didn't use it enough for the battery to be run down and charged up oftern enough and it worked a little less well as time passed by. If your gonna get one get a good one.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?