Fishing St. Marks Area

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

2DB

Fishing St. Marks Area

Post by 2DB »

Wondering if someone could give some info on fishing the St. Marks area. Been fishing mainly out of Keaton, got a new Frontier 210 and i am wanting to fish diffe.nt water. Any info on where to put in, places to stay, and any pointers would be very much appreciated. I will be coming from Hahira. Thanks.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing St. Marks Area

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You can get camp sites or motel room at Shell Island Fish Camp in St. Marks.
They have a ramp and a lift.
A ramp around the corner at "The Fort".
Another ramp at Shields Marina in St. Marks.
The primary fishing is in the St. Marks and Wakulla rivers right now for trout and reds and sheepshead.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

The ramp at the fort was recently redone and is a nice place to launch. Deep water launch with adequate parking.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

You cant beat the good folks at Shell Island Fish Camp for a full service Marina, cabins and motel. They'll give you good advice on what's happening, baits and general locations for fish. In addition to the river fish, you may also go out to 20'- 30' and troll stretches for grouper if you hit a good weather day. Stay in the channel going down the river and out past the lighthouse; and study the charts so you avoid the bars and rocks. We'll be watching for your report and pics!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Lighthouse ramp is closed for repairs .
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
2DB

Post by 2DB »

Limitless wrote:You cant beat the good folks at Shell Island Fish Camp for a full service Marina, cabins and motel. They'll give you good advice on what's happening, baits and general locations for fish. In addition to the river fish, you may also go out to 20'- 30' and troll stretches for grouper if you hit a good weather day. Stay in the channel going down the river and out past the lighthouse; and study the charts so you avoid the bars and rocks. We'll be watching for your report and pics!
Thanks so much Limitless we hope to be providing you with good reports and pics soon as well. We will certainly give the good folks at Shell Island our business.
2DB

Post by 2DB »

Jumptrout51 wrote:You can get camp sites or motel room at Shell Island Fish Camp in St. Marks.
They have a ramp and a lift.
A ramp around the corner at "The Fort".
Another ramp at Shields Marina in St. Marks.
The primary fishing is in the St. Marks and Wakulla rivers right now for trout and reds and sheepshead.
Greatly appreciate your response Jumptrout51. Hope to see you on the river.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You will.
Just stay off my fishing holes.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
2DB

Post by 2DB »

Not a problem wouldn't know one if i saw it
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

You've gotten great advice from the others. I would just add that there's not much happening in the nearshore spots (20 - 30 ft.) right now. I was out there recently and the water temp was 46 at the surface and not much activity. Once the water starts to warm up a bit, probably around March, you can really have a lot of fun trolling these nearshore areas with deep diving plugs. Go roughly between the Aucilla and St. Marks out to 20' and you're bound to pick up a few grouper if there is any bite at all. The crab traps are a pretty good clue that there is good bottom so work around them. Watch your bottom machine because you will definitely find spots with natural bottom that will be good to try in the future if they're not biting. Fish were stacked up in the river when I went last week. 10 shorts for every keeper but had a blast. Good luck!

P.S. stay a safe distance from the crap trap buoys and don't cut sharply so that you lure drags across the line and gets caught. It's a pain in the butt for you and the crabber if you move his trap trying to free your lure.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

2DB wrote:Not a problem wouldn't know one if i saw it
JT wouldn't know one if he saw it either. To make it easier on himself he just claims them all. :lol:
FF salute1