Wakulla river

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skitterwalk

Wakulla river

Post by skitterwalk »

Rob and I fished the wakulla river today in our quest to fish all the local rivers and creeks. First Spring Creek ,then the St. Marks ,and now the Wakulla. We drift the banks casting stick shad and I pick up a few bass before I finally gat my 1st trout which went 20"

no more than 2 casts later somethin big swirles on my shad as it darts down and my rod slowly begins to load. The whole way in I thought it was a red because I couldnt think of anything that could pull as hard as it was until it leaped out of the water scaring me half to death seeing how big she was! 8O I played it slow and scouped her up and threw her in the yak. My personal best in the river! 2011 is looking bright for me :D

we keep workin on down the river and into a few creeks with a some small trout on jigs and stick shads. Rob did manage the only small red of the day on the way back to the hill.All in all not many fish but with a bass like that...made my whole day!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla river

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

looks like another good day of fishing for you skitterwalk.i went down there to the st. marks saturday fighting the wind and managed to get a limit of trout and kept one red about 24" and a bunch of short trout mixed in there on plugs.i am getting ready to leave and try it again today.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Good job, Ben! We are fortunate to live in an area where you can catch trouts, reds, and bass in the same body of water. :smt026
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

SW, I think I saw you yesterday about dusk. My parents and I were sitting at Riverside having a :beer: on your way back to the ramp. We managed about a dozen reds, a few trout and a bass about 1/10th the size of yours. Nice report.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

yea you probaly did. I couldnt find a single red tht day! Were they stacked in a hole?
DAVE

Post by DAVE »

yeah , where the heck were the reds Saturday?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I don't know about Saturday, I was there Monday. They were stacked in a DEEP hole. We pulled about a 4# black drum out of the same hole. All fish were released to fight another day.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.