How to get more cast out of my rod and reel?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DAVE

How to get more cast out of my rod and reel?

Post by DAVE »

Just got a new rod and reel and wanted to get more distance out of my cast. If I lower the pounds of test will this help out. What is the lowest I should go when fishing for Trout/Red fish, thanks
reelcatch

Re: How to get more cast out of my rod and reel?

Post by reelcatch »

Go to a braided line. You can keep up around 10 lb line and it will be a very small diameter line. Should help. I use Power Pro but go see Kevin's. They will put the line on for you and help you get the right line for your fishing.

Good luck and tight lines!!!!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

What is the lure weight you are throwing and the lure range of the rod?
Line ain't gonna do it by itself but if the lure is matched to the rod, you'll see a marked improvement by utilizing the rod's loading properties properly.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Use a long medium action rod 7'6" to 8' with a spinning reel that has a beveled spool, like the stradic 3000, then put on some 20 lb power pro and a super spook, or skitterwalk and you will get some distance.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Or have Matthew build you a custom Matthew's Fishn Styx rod and you'll have one that not only casts well but looks purdy, too! :D
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

jsuber wrote:Use a long medium action rod 7'6" to 8' with a spinning reel that has a beveled spool, like the stradic 3000, then put on some 20 lb power pro and a super spook, or skitterwalk and you will get some distance.

While that's great advice, if you can get the same distance more comfortable (not throwing your shoulder off) why not do it? A bottom bouncing rod will cast a popping cork but would you really want to do that.
Medium is a power not an action.

Thanks Capt. How does that Core fell on that rod? I've got one I'll send you some pics of that is sick.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Remember a long cast could restrict your hook set abilities. :beer:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Step 1 - Buy a Curado.
Step 2 - Spool it with 15 lb Berkley Big Game mono.
Step 3 - Take all the brakes off of the reel.
Step 4 - Learn how to cast using only thumb pressure.

It'll take several day-ender backlashes to learn how to use thumb pressure to control the speed of the spool without the brakes on, but when you figure it out you'll be able to throw all the line off your reel. You can use lighter line if you want, but the thicker diameter mono gives you a little more room for error. When you get your plug flying like a missile (i.e. parallel to the water for an extended stretch), you'll know you're doing it right. Use sharp hooks so that when they bomb it from way downtown, you'll be able to get penetration.
Boom goes the dynamite.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Those are all greatrecomendations.

Why don't you tell us what your current combo, line, etc is and we can make some suggestions based upon your existing investment.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

by DAVE » Wed Jan 12, 2011 - 12:31

Just got a new rod and reel and wanted to get more distance out of my cast. If I lower the pounds of test will this help out. What is the lowest I should go when fishing for Trout/Red fish, thanks
Congrats on your new rod and reel, Dave. Casting distance for any given combo setup will vary according to what you own, the line it is spooled with, the lures you throw, and your casting technique. That said, most of us use 10-20 lb braided line. The braid gives you lots of strength, but at a very small diameter when compared to mono. If you're gonna go with mono, then I wouldn't go lower than 10#. I only use 20# braid on all my reels. It's the same diameter as 6# mono. It never breaks and I can throw my lures a good long way with it.
If you still can't get the desired casting distance, then you may want to look at your equipment. Like Suber said, the longer the rod, then generally the longer the casts you can get with less effort. A 7'6" medium or medium light rod is a great all around length for longer casts with jigs, spoons, and topwater plugs.
Hope this helps!
Jason
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

If you want the max get a long rod with low rider guides that the Japs use for long casting. If you use a popping cork you can spool a 4000 size reel with a standard steelhead rod with the wind at your back.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

SHOWBOAT wrote:Those are all greatrecomendations.

Why don't you tell us what your current combo, line, etc is and we can make some suggestions based upon your existing investment.
X2

Dave didn't ask what combo to buy. He asked how to maximize what the has.

Dave, tell us what combo you have and we can make suggestions from there.
What was I supposed to do today?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

There's a new braid / gore-tex combination line out by Suffix (832) and Spiderwire (Ultracast fluoro-braid) that claim much longer distances amoung other qualities.....anyone try either one yet? The specs look very impressive.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I also use the braid and a 7'6" rod I try to load the rod and use the rods action to cast the lure.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
jsuber wrote:Use a long medium action rod 7'6" to 8' with a spinning reel that has a beveled spool, like the stradic 3000, then put on some 20 lb power pro and a super spook, or skitterwalk and you will get some distance.

While that's great advice, if you can get the same distance more comfortable (not throwing your shoulder off) why not do it? A bottom bouncing rod will cast a popping cork but would you really want to do that.
Medium is a power not an action.

Thanks Capt. How does that Core fell on that rod? I've got one I'll send you some pics of that is sick.
My Terramar rod says "Medium Action" on the side, thats why I told the fellar Medium Action. If he went to Kevins and asked for Medium Power, no one, would know what he was talking about. It requires less effort to throw a longer rod, but not so long that it becomes a hinderance. 8' is about as long as I would go.