Kayak Sight Fishing

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tkmcknig

Kayak Sight Fishing

Post by Tkmcknig »

I've been kayak fishing a ton since I purchased my yak last Feb and to this day I have only been able to sight fish for reds two or three times. Obviously, to find them you must be in the right place at the right time. I've been to those places and still haven't been able to do much sight fishing. It seems like every time I go out I end up blind casting at oyster bars and other fishy spots. I'm going fishing this weekend and would like to know where the good people on this forum suggest I go to do some quality sight fishing. Preferably somewhere between Lanark Village and Saint Marks. Also, tips on sight fishing from a kayak are much welcomed!!! Maybe I'm doing something wrong lol. A couple weeks ago I put in at Wakulla beach and hung a right and went into that goose neck. There seemed to be very fishy flats over there along with gobs of oyster bars. Has anyone fished that area and can give me tips on how you fish it?
kjun thunder

Re: Kayak Sight Fishing

Post by kjun thunder »

actually yes I fish the west goose creek quite often and have caught multiple reds my biggest trout come out of the west goose creek. It is hard for me to explain the area without looking at it with you on google earth or other topo maps. but i would have no objection of you joining me on some trips out of wakulla beach. Once the water temps rise the flats fishing past patti's island which is about a two mile row from wakulla beach is great. I actually found out about pattis island fishing with a guide. Once the water temps rise its is a great place to hook up on some summer time black tip shark. I have had a few 2 plus hour black tip fights the past summer. My name is andrew my number is 228-1523 give me a call if you wanna join in on some west goose creek action. I am actually going out thursday and saturday this week ill let you know how it goes.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Sight fishing sitting down in a yak is very difficult. If you have a yak you can stand and pole, then it's much easier. I fished WB almost every weekend for the first year I kayaked. It can be red hot or ice cold. If you fish there often you'll likely run into 2 guys(Billy and Charles). Both are great guys and can offer some great advice and will probably let you tag along.

The best way to learn a new area is to check google earth. Look for the deep areas next to oyster bars or other objects. The deep areas will most likely be caused by good tidal flow.

Be sure and visit http://www.fcka.net and check out the launches section and you discover a whole world of great places to fish from your yak.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Cotton gives good advice. Also, it has to be flat as glass and you have to be quiet. Did I mention you have to be quiet?
Lanark, you can oftien find their tails and them sunning in the shallows (clear water) , and to the east of the Lighthouse in the creeks you can often see the tails and wakes moving along the edges of the creeks (clear water).
Get a good pair of glasses, Use a topwater to find them early (first light), they will usually push it a few times at first but when you do hook one, watch where the others go and then try to get in front of them later.
I have never sight fished Reds at WB because the water is usually too murky but you can catch a boat full of them there if you pick the right oyster bar for the day. They stack up there and wait for the bait to come to them across that sandy bottom.
Charles is in a canoe usually. Billy fishes a Hobie Quest. You can tell Cotton by his dive booties.
I am going east of the Lighthouse in the creeks this weekend. I have a red and white sit in.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
Tkmcknig

Post by Tkmcknig »

Thanks for the advice! Google maps is definitely a very useful tool, I've been using that for a while now. I'm heading out to wakulla beach on saturday so hopefully the reds will be hungry for whatever I throw at them! haha.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Ha! Everyone knows that they only bite Mon-Fri.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Tkmcknig wrote:Thanks for the advice! Google maps is definitely a very useful tool, I've been using that for a while now. I'm heading out to wakulla beach on saturday so hopefully the reds will be hungry for whatever I throw at them! haha.
Fantastic tides first thing in the morning for what you are trying to accomplish. If looking for Reds then you should see them pushing around. I would fish the flat rather than around the bars on this negative tide.... that is if you can get to it with the neg tide.
Tkmcknig

Post by Tkmcknig »

What would be the best lure(s) to use if I come across reds pushing during the negative tide on the flats? Unweighted jerk bait? Maybe a 3 in gulp shrimp, although I'm a little worried about making a quiet entry with this bait.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Tkmcknig wrote:What would be the best lure(s) to use if I come across reds pushing during the negative tide on the flats? Unweighted jerk bait? Maybe a 3 in gulp shrimp, although I'm a little worried about making a quiet entry with this bait.
I would go with a unweighted fluke and make sure you get their attention with it. Not a Gulp fan... No offense to you Gulpies out there, Steve/Casey/Pat. :roll:
Tkmcknig

Post by Tkmcknig »

So last saturday was not what I expected it to be haha. Arrived at wb at about 745 and the tide was super low, as expected. After walking our kayaks for a bit to get into the west goose neck we found schools of bait everywhere. It looked as though it was going to be a great day. Even more so when i caught a 19in trout within 20 mins of fishing (caught on a DOA jerk, texas rigged). I threw him back bc I expected to catch a bunch more and we were planning on being out there for most of the day. We'll that predicted was incorrect and it ended up being the only fish of the day :( At about 11:45 we moved back into the "river" to the western most part of the neck to find a little deeper water since we didn't see much in the skinny water (expect a bunch of mullet). By the time we came back out into the main part the wind had jacked way up and the tide was RUSHING in. Lets just say that was not the most enjoyable paddle I've had haha. Gave up a little after that bc it became too hard to keep fishing in that wind. Even though it wasn't a day full of fish, it was nice to have a day without the law school text books!!!! :D Hoping to have more luck tomorrow at Lanark village.
FMI

Post by FMI »

Tkmcknig,

What type of kayak do you have? Are you comfortable standing in it?
Tkmcknig wrote:What would be the best lure(s) to use if I come across reds pushing during the negative tide on the flats? Unweighted jerk bait? Maybe a 3 in gulp shrimp, although I'm a little worried about making a quiet entry with this bait.
In this situation my go to is a unweighted Exude Dart or RT Slug, if the fish are to skittish for that a 4" Fat Tube.
GULP! free since 83' ;)
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I think you would have to stack the odds in your favor if you want to sight fish from a Yak and catch fish consistently. Find sand bottom and turtle grass. Get your sidearm or underhand cast down to a science because when you see them while standing in a Yak they will be close. Fish the Shoal and reef @ Lanark.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Barhopr wrote:I think you would have to stack the odds in your favor if you want to sight fish from a Yak and catch fish consistently. Find sand bottom and turtle grass. Get your sidearm or underhand cast down to a science because when you see them while standing in a Yak they will be close. Fish the Shoal and reef @ Lanark.
all true but be warned. If its calm and quiet...your pretty screwed with that really clear water. Last time I tried that the reds saw me as soon as I saw them. Almost pointless lol
FindingMyBalance

Post by FindingMyBalance »

Hey. Just came across this site - great insight. Fishing same areas mentioned above, just until May (here for work). I've had good luck on the reds off Levy Bay Rd about 2 hrs after the tide starts coming in. Middle of the slot, but too murky to sight around there. Would love to hook onto some trout. Any spots you can share? I'm used to the Atlantic, so much to learn....
Tkmcknig

Post by Tkmcknig »

FMI wrote:Tkmcknig,

What type of kayak do you have? Are you comfortable standing in it?
In this situation my go to is a unweighted Exude Dart or RT Slug, if the fish are to skittish for that a 4" Fat Tube.
I have a Hobie Quest. I can stand in it but the problem is that every time I do I start turning hard to the right.... It's get annoying real quick haha. If the water is flat and no wind its not too bad. I should probably invest in a rudder. Thanks for the lure suggestions :D