TORIUM 30

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

TORIUM 30

Post by Gulf Coast »

Just got my Torium 30 and need to put some line on it, what combos of backing and braid do you guys think ? grouper is the target.Thought I would just try something besides mono. Looking for a rod to match it also.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: TORIUM 30

Post by silverking »

50 pound Power Pro braid. If you need backing, I'd spool 30-pound mono under it and connect using a double uni. The Shimano Trevala casting rods are nearly indestructible, light and will handle that reel and the targeted species. Don't cost an arm and leg, either.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

SK Thanks fo the info. :thumbup: A 6'6" medium, medium heavy or heavy ? I've used someone's before I just can't get up with him to find out what it is. All I have ever had before is just 4/0 on a short long leaf pine. :-D
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

this is what little i have figured out, wrong or right i dont know

1.) with a single hooks -- spinerbait, plastic worm, j hook with bait -- lean toward heavy
2 .) with trebble hooks stretch 30, bombers, rattletraps, crankbait ----- medium heavy
3.) circle hooks --------------- ????????

I do no that a 7' or longer medium heavy for fishing frogs and plastic worms will yield a whole lot of aggrivation,
but it works very well with the crankbaits and such
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Have the Torium 30 on a Trvealla jigging rod and love it. Haven't had a biggun on yet but caught some decent AJs and Snappers on it. The rod wont pull a grouper outta hole but its fun for other species.

Its also a very light set up. I spooled with 50lb Momoi Diamond Braid - and its been just right.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Spooling up now. How many yard of power pro do ya'll put on ? Got 150 yard spool. :smt102
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

You need a bunch more line....

Model TOR30 Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.)46 Line Capacity (# Test/Yards) 25/420, 30/350 Power Pro Line Capacity (# Test/Yards) 50/760,65/570,80/460 Max Drag (lbs.)23.3 Bearings 3 BB/1 RB Gear Ratio 6.2:1 Weight (oz.)22

It looks like you might want to spool about 275 yds of #30 mono as a backing then the rest with your #50 Power Pro
OR
Invest in a huge filler spool of Power Pro.
FF salute1
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Thanks I've got the backing on and spooled it up. Trying to get my parts together for my rod build.I should have it done in time for the upcoming closures !
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Sounds like my kind of timing. :lol:
FF