Smoked fish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

Smoked fish

Post by Mister Mullet »

Is there any place in Tallahassee or nearby where I can bring fish to be smoked?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Re: Smoked fish

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Bring em to my house :-D ill be sure to call you when their done!! :lick:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
prebleg

Post by prebleg »

Smoke you own, its easy.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

prebleg wrote:Smoke you own, its easy.
I always have trouble keepin em lit :smt012 so can't help ya :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

The option for smoking at home is always open however, for those fishermen not familar with a smoking service it can be a real eye opener. On US 1 just north of Key Largo in the 50s & 60s there was a fish smoking house that would smoke any fish you caught in any quanity. He had standard per pound pricing or options that included, he kept half and you got half for no charge or he would buy the whole fish . In addition he smoked in different styles according to the species as an example for mackeral he would do head on, gutted and smoked whole for a really nice presentation. Once smoked he provided portion packaging for all fish to the customers specifications. The best thing was drop off and pick no fuss, no mess and everyone made out.

My grandfather caught a 160 pound sailfish took it to the smoker for the half and half deal and had it packed in 8 oz., 1lb. ,& 2 lb. portions. We had smoked sail for a month! Scrambled eggs and smoked sail for breakfast yum, yum. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that the smell of smoked sailfish on thick rye bread WILL fill a classroom inspite of being in the cloak room!
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

I have a smoker and did some kingfish last week, but I'm getting lazy and old. I remember that smoke house in The Keys. That was pretty much the standard deal. There's a smoke house in West Palm Beach that I've used before. I was looking for something around here. I think they smoked at the Lanark Village Mart before he closed.