Student on a Budget Looking to buy used fishing Yak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Midwest2South

Student on a Budget Looking to buy used fishing Yak

Post by Midwest2South »

Hello all,

I just moved here from Wisconsin and I am looking to purchase my first fishing kayak because, so far, I have only been able to fish from the shore

Also, I am a full time law student (read: lots of debt), so it would need to be a used kayak or one that I could afford.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go about purchasing a used fishing kayak? Possibly a 2-seater?

It's driving me nuts not being able to get out on the water to do some fishing so I really need to take care of this soon..

Thanks for the advice!
big bend gyrene

Re: Student on a Budget Looking to buy used fishing Yak

Post by big bend gyrene »

Midwest2South, as both a canoe and boat owner... my .02 is that the smartest men I know are ones who HAVE REALLY GOOD FRIENDS WHO OWN BOATS! :wink: Partial joking aside, I have a buddy who also owns a boat and we take turns taking each other out and those days I just get to pull up with a few rods in hand are a hellz load easier/less costly than those where I have to tow the boat. :thumbup: :beer: If I were in your shoes, and money was as big of concern as you make it sound I would target some boat owners for friendship! :-D

As little as I've gone this year (1 lone trip) I should just loan you my boat. :smt010
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
littlejohn
Site Sponsor

Post by littlejohn »

Check out Kayak Demo thread in Kayaking discussions.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2392726571.html

Ocean Prowler - $600 (Adel, GA)
used it twice. reducing the contents of my "toy box". Not enough time to do it all. I have used it twice. It comes with a fish finder, battery, battery charger, and paddle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call 229-356-1242
Pirate Girl
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

lizbeth wrote:http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2392726571.html

used it twice. reducing the contents of my "toy box". Not enough time to do it all. I have used it twice. It comes with a fish finder, battery, battery charger, and paddle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call 229-356-1242

Man, that is exactly what I'm looking for. It's out of my price range though, I can only spend like $350 so I was looking for a more used one..

Also, I want to do the Demo tomorrow in St. Marks but I have to head to Gainesville to spend some time with the inlaws :( But I want to do the kayak demo so bad... :(
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

Pirate Girl
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

lizbeth wrote:http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2392726571.html

Call 229-356-1242
That's a good deal. I have a "never been used" 10 foot Alweld jonboat that I want to get rid of. Want to trade?
Ray
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
Allnighter

Post by Allnighter »

It you are looking for a starter yak I know a friend of mine has a pelican that isn't half bad and I think he got it for 300-350 and that was new also you should call Robert over at TnT I know he has used and dad said they were great to talk to when he got a yak for my mom.
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

Yeah I was looking at those Pelicans (because I have a 50 dollar gift card to bass pro shop) as well as the "Ascend FS12T, FS10, and A12". They all seem to be in the 400-500 dollar range.

Anyone have any experience with these models? As a beginner, I don't need anything too fancy, but I obviously want to get the most 'bang' for
my buck.

Kayak or not, I hope to make it out fishing this week. Still wish I had caught more last weekend for the dinner table, but I'm feeling good about my next trip :)
Last edited by Midwest2South on May 24th, 2011, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I have a Pelican that was on sale for $380.00 at Sports Authority a few years ago. I've since added a new seat and gotten a nicer paddle. I'd love a bigger nicer kayak, but the old Pelican works just fine. I'm 5'10" and about 240 pounds, and this is the 12 foot Pelican Castaway by the way.
Attachments
downsized_0829101629.jpg
downsized_0829101629.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
1011101850.jpg
1011101850.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
0520001945.jpg
0520001945.jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
0518111436b.jpg
0518111436b.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I have a Pelican 116 sit in I bought 6 years ago for $350 from Sports Authority. I grew up with sit in canvas kayaks so I opted for what I knew, I have no complaints, it is a great little boat. I would not recommend it for a starter tho (it takes learned balance), I would point you towards the sit on top Castaway.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

@Red_Yakker - your photos make me wish I was out on the water, rather than sitting on the couch!

Well, I was almost successful in purchasing my first fishing kayak today. Responded to an ad on Craiglist for a 5 year old Walden Cuda. The asking price was $275, which seemed like a good deal. I e-mailed the seller shortly after made the posting, but he did not reply. This morning, I called the number listed and arranged to meet at his house at 12:30. I got there a half hour early and there was already a man in a pickup truck waiting who promptly informed me that he was a kayak/canoe seller and that he had "first dibs." Awesome..

I called the seller who hadn't arrived at his house yet and told him I'd give him $350 for it, but he apologized and admitted that he had actually told that other guy he could have the first crack at it for $275. Thanks for telling me to show up at the same time, I guess? That's craigslist for ya. I guess I cannot blame the guy for being honest/ethical and all..just a little disappointing. Although, if I were him, I probably would have sold my 'yak to the poor student who just wants to go fishing, rather the dealer who will just turn around and sell it to someone else at a profit ;)

Also, I looked at the Pelicans at sports authority, and the Pelican Castaway looks like a good choice. I think I'm going to go with either the Pelican Castaway or one of the Ascend models if I can't find something pre-owned in the next couple weeks....

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

Pelican Castaway owners:

Do you guys think $225 for 5 year old Pelican Castaway 11.5', in good shape but with minor scratches, with an upgraded paddle is a reasonable price for this kayak? Thanks..
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

Update: Last night I checked out a used Pelican Castaway, 5 years old. It was mighty scratched up, especially on the bottom. Some of the bottom scratches appeared to be nearly 1" deep. My main concerns: the price wasn't right for a 5 year old scratched up 'yak that retails at the local Sports Authority for $425 and the scratches on the bottom
May have been more than just "cosmetic" in that another scrape on that area could
Cause a leak... So the search continues.

You guys should keep me posted if you decide
To upgrade this summer or come across a used one for sale
In good shape!
Midwest2South

Post by Midwest2South »

Ok, ended up getting a Pelican Castaway. Super happy with it. Can't wait to take it out on saturday and play around with it! Going to launch around the Hwy 98 bridge... fishing be alright around there, right?