Tarpon Times

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skitterwalk

Tarpon Times

Post by skitterwalk »

Ole baker and I were greeted with a steady 10mph at the launch, but with the silver king on our mind...Nothing could stop us! We begin our day snatching pins out of their comfortable grass bed hiding from what lurks above. Once we had about 4 pins in the bucket , off into the current we sent them on 7/0 circlehooks. My first hit results in a nice looking trout.
Then I hear TARPON!!! Chills go down my spine as I turn around and Rob has hooked up with a nice poon and man that thing is goin bonkers! I race to get over to him and capture it on video and got HD video of just about the whole fight! :A1 nice poon rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbDGTOFOMak[/video]
After that little episode. Rob switches his sights to reds since he had already caught a tarpon and trout which would make a Grand Slam! So he heads in while I stay behind staring at my bobber...which is strangely exciting to me watching it move with the waves knowing that at any moment It could dive into the depths marking the begining of a fighting extravaganza! Anyway, I sit...and sit...AND SIT, waiting for the magical moment. A few hours later rob paddles up and says lets go over here man, and with nothing happening for the past few hours I was more than willing! So we make the move and send out the pinfish. No sooner than we arrived, KABOOMMM!! Something absolutely Drills my pin almost taking the rod in! I pick it up and look at the water and the tarpon in my dreams sky rockets! Completly blowing away Rob and I yelling at the top of our lungs. Scrambling to get the footage rolling, I press the record button and the fight is under way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8htVKFm9k[/video]
I was more than blown away by the body on this tarpon, its brute strength, and jumping capabilities. I will skip the more than three hour fight convo as we thought we had her whooped an hour and a half in. Rob T-boned my yak to add resistance(thank you!)We kept saying alright she is coming backwards now! And then she would take off on a blistering run.(still jumping throught the whole fight...yes three hrs in!) But eventually she fliped sideways and I grabed her as tight as I could with my noodle arms haha. I let go once so this time I put the vice grip on her! With the last bit of energy I had left I had left. I hoisted her out of the water and got some cool shots!
Special thanks to Bakertize and Capncrunch for helping me! Couldn't have done it without you! And littoral for rooting me on during the fight lol
Last edited by skitterwalk on June 5th, 2011, 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FishWithChris

Re: Tarpon Times

Post by FishWithChris »

HOLY SHHHHHHHHH...........

my jaw was dropped the whole time reading it. Awesome job to you both, and can't wait for the video
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet Poon! I don't know if I would want to catch one of those in a Yak. These days the BIG sharks are often attracted to the fight. 8-0
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Nice!
From your Green Guide Pal
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Very nice. Tarpon and Bonefish are still on my bucket list. Congrats brother.
FF
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Dude...that thing probably weighed as much as you! Nice tarpoon for sure :thumbup: :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Bottom Line wrote:Nice!
From your Green Guide Pal

Green guide pal? Whats your name?lol an thanks everyone. Definetly weighed more than me! lol
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Now that there's some frikkin' fishin'!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Dame!!! Nice work there!
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

SKITTER YOU ARE THE MAN OF THE DAY !! WOW
Pirate Girl
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

I'm sure we will be seeing these pics in a South Florida magazine real soon. Nice fish. :thumbup:
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Outstanding! Awsome fish.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Outstanding, Skit. :smt041 I hope you don't get too big for your britches now. :smt047
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Freakin awesome!