Suffix 832 - two colors - your opinion?

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Suffix 832 - two colors - your opinion?

Post by WolfeMan »

Im looking to get new line on a couple of my rods and I really like the looks of this new 832 braid. I see it's available in 2 colors...low-vis green and electric lime neon nuclear green...

It would seem to me that the logical pick would be the low-vis green but most of the people I observe on various TV shows are using the electric lime nuke green.

What's the upside/downside of using the bright color? Around these parts, mostly in-shore...what color would you pick? Why?

Site Sponsor

Re: Suffix 832 - two colors - your opinion?

Post by red_yakker »

I have the bright one. I use a long flourocarbon leader, and I've never noticed one color line getting more strikes over the other (low vis green on other rod). I like to use the bright one so that I can see it a little more clearly.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
BOON

Post by BOON »

I don't use a flouro leader with braid and so I would pick the low vis green. I use some 20lb line and some 30lb line.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Hi vis colors are usually for line watchers using finesse baits and those trolling for striking fish so that tangles are avoided.
It is also another example of some people prefer one over another and the fish don't care.
FF
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

So it doesn't matter. Cool.

I definately use a clear leader, so that part is good. Thanks for the help!

Now then...10 lb.....or 20.... ;)
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I like the 20lb test since it's the same diameter as 6 lb mono and it casts like a dream. If I were going with 10lb test, I would probably just prefer to use 10 lb mono (because it's less visible). Unless it makes a bigger difference in casting than I realize, I don't see any advantage going with 10 lb braid over 20. If I luck up and hook something big (cobia, tarpon, shark.....), I like knowing that I can tighten the drag down a little more without fear of it resulting in a "TWANG" of disapointment.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Braided line typically over-tests according to the International Game Fish Association. In other words, if it says 10-pound test, it'll probably test out to 12+ actually. So you can go with the lighter line for more capacity and still pack plenty of punch.

If you using a mono or fluorocarbon leader, the color of the line is personal preference, not a visibility issue for the fish.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I prefer 10 over 20 personally. Same diameter as 4 # mono. I can get far more distance than with 20 and have not lost any fish to broken lines unless a dock piling was involved. Your hook will bend before you break that line. Big bull reds, no problem. Are you using a spinning reel? The fellas that throw baitcasters usually use heavier braid, 20-30#. You'll be fine either way. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Don't know why, really, but I have always used the braid size equal to the diameter of the smallest diameter mono that the reel is rated for.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I use the 10 lb green 832....vs the 20 lb mainly for the extra capacity and smaller diameter for more casting distance...Like it a lot better than Power Pro..

and I'd suggest the green vs the electric lime neon .... That stuff is so bright it'll blind ya. :)
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

A certain Realtor told me that he'd never use anything smaller than 30 because it's so thin you might as well....to each his own I guess.

Post by FHC »

juan put on some sun glasses :D
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I saw Flip Pallot fishing with neon green line in the Everglades...if he hasnt got a problem with it, nobody should. lol

Post by big bend gyrene »

WolfeMan wrote:A certain Realtor told me that he'd never use anything smaller than 30 because it's so thin you might as well....to each his own I guess.
You're looking to a REALTOR for expert fishing advice?! :lol: :smt005

Probably same realtor who doesn't think a gold spoon will slay the redfish. :smt005 :smt043 :smt044

Ok, gut busting laugh out of my system will just tell you this WolfeMan (and much prefer the new moniker by the way)... I use 20 inshore BUT next time I respool will definitely go with 10, and don't mind sharing why. When inshore I love having the flexibilty of targeting reds off bars if action drifting the flats is slow. Sharkman, who fishes with me, uses 10 and with almost identical rigs/casting action he casts a notable distance further with the 10 than I do the 20. That makes it possible for him to have us anchor further off the bar points and cast to schools it's tougher for my heavier line to reach. When fishing together, we'll both catch fish but he'll be reaching the back of the school and fishing through the middle while I'm snagging fewer fish off the outer front edge. We're using leader too so it's not the line spooking fish that's the issue. Just the few extra yards casting distance AS WELL AS spooking fewer fish by keeping the boat as far back off bars as possible. And have to agree with the comment about almost never seeing the 10 break. If you hook a monster cobe on the flats, you usually can just pull anchor (or motor off your drift) and slowly wear down the fish with minimal risk of break-offs on structure like you find near offshrore wrecks/artificial reefs. Offshore is a VERY different game, but for inshore definitely think 10 is a smart choice. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945