Alligator Point 5/28, 6/4, 6/10

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 5/28, 6/4, 6/10

Post by fish finder »

I haven't posted in awhile, so I'll try to catch up with a multi day report!

My first mate, Amy, and I went out with my AP neighbor, Rob Clark and his two sons Robie & Davis over Memorial Day weekend to see if we could put some Red Grouper in the box. We fished primarily in 55-65ft near K-Tower and were able to put several average ones on ice. Amy also caught and released a nice Red Snapper, hoping to catch it again sometime after June 1 :D
Two beauties!
Two beauties!
IMG_4942.JPG (481.42 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Rob also caught and released one of the endangered ARS! We also caught and released 4 keeper Gag Grouper, as we were in federal waters, which is a painful thing to do. All released fish appeared to be fine as they headed back towards the bottom. Water was great, calm and clear, seas 1-2ft, temp about 80. Bait was the usual, live pinfish and assorted frozen bait (squid, sardines, LYs)

Headed out early on opening weekend (Sat) of Red Snapper season aboard Cuda"B", planning to go deep in search of the Snapper while we can. Loaded the livewell at DI Reef and headed South. This was the first trip offshore for Cuda"B" since Nov '10 so she acted up with the port engine cutting out intermittently. :smt011 I was able to get her back running each time, but I could not risk a long run. We ended up staying in closer, fishing the 50-65ft area between K & O Towers. We were able to get our limit of Red Grouper and even put 2 Red Snapper in the box, which was nice. Here is Clint Creel with his first ever Red Snapper, a nice one in the 10lb range! :smt007
Clint's First ARS!
Clint's First ARS!
HPIM2508.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2427 times
Of course, since we were fishing my grouper numbers, I knew that it was going to be frustrating having to release any Gag Grouper that we caught, but it was really tough on the guys who were doing the catching. We caught and released 12 keeper Gags, the largest going 26' and about 12lbs! :o Conditions were again great, with the lack of fresh water, the water is clear and beautiful. Bait was the same and the water temp was up to 82.

I was invited to go along with my buddy Rob again for a Friday trip. There ended up being 6 of us on his Grady-White, Connie Lynn, and we headed out to some live bottom between V & S Towers, in 95-100ft. Loaded up with bait and beer and made the 1 hour run. We hit several spots catching fish at each one. The bite would be hot for 15-20 minutes and then we would move to the next. The seas were perfect, the bait was the same, with the live bait taking the grouper on the bottom and the snapper usually taking sardines or squid hanging off the bottom about 15-25ft! We caught our 6 man limit (12) of Red Snapper, the largest being a beauty about 16lbs, with several more in the 12lb range! :D Also had 8 nice Red Grouper in the box along with a couple Lane Snapper and Seabass for a variety. I did not get any live shots of the fish, but here is a "dock shot" of the haul! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great Day!
Great Day!
HPIM2511.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2427 times
A great trip with a fun group! The only downside was having to again release 7 keeper Gags, two above 27"! :smt010

Light winds & Low Seas!

Capt. Jay
Ranaman

Re: Alligator Point 5/28, 6/4, 6/10

Post by Ranaman »

Good stuff there Fish!
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point 5/28, 6/4, 6/10

Post by qoutrage »

Very nice report, thanks. Y'all did good. :D